RAK Academy is seeking a dynamic and committed Assistant Headteacher (Inclusion) to join us for the Academic Year in 2021-2022. Over the past five years RAK Academy Family of Schools has grown significantly and our reputation for developing academic achievement and is well known as one of the international school of choice in Ras Al Khaimah.
Nestled between the Al Hajar mountains and the clear blue waters of the Arabian Gulf, RAK Academy Family of Schools is based in Ras Al Khaimah, the northernmost Emirate of the United Arab Emirates. Just one hour’s drive from Dubai International Airport and 20 minutes drive from Ras Al Khaimah International Airport, our schools provide British and IB curriculum to almost 2700 students from over 97 different nationalities across its 5 campuses, each with its own unique character.
The Assistant Head (Inclusion), under the direction of the Head of School, will play a major role in formulating the aims and objectives of the school. They will establish policies for achieving these aims and objectives and manage staff and resources to monitor progress towards the achievement of the school’s aims and objectives.
- Support the Head of School, Executive Principal and RAK Academy Board in promoting and developing a vision for the future of the school, demonstrating inspirational leadership and creativity.
- Play a significant role in the school improvement planning process, taking account of the agreed priorities of the school.
- Contribute to the identification of key areas of strength and weakness in the school with detailed reflection on day to day working knowledge of the school’s policies and practices.
- Exemplify the application of agreed policies, priorities and expectations, so as to provide an excellent role model for all colleagues.
- Develop and enhance a culture of teamwork, in which views of members of the school community are valued and considered.
- Contribute to the self-evaluation of the school.
Inclusion and Wellbeing (SEND, EAL, G&T)
- Lead on all aspects of assessment and identification of barriers to learning.
- Provide oversight, direction and support to the SENCO and EAL Coordinator to ensure support is effectively targeted, planned for and delivered to meet the needs of all learners.
- Ensure that all students requiring additional support are identified and their learning targets are robustly reviewed.
- Lead on scheduling and facilitating reviews for students with additional needs.
- Lead on the strategic implementation and review of Individual Education Plans to meet the needs of all learners.
- Provide leadership and direction for middle leaders to enable them to provide targeted and appropriate strategies and differentiation to raise standards in Early Years Foundation Stage(EYFS), Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
- Analyse progress, attainment and achievement data for all children with English as an Additional Language ensuring the correct level of support is provided individually and collectively.
- Lead on the identification of children with additional Gifts and Talents ensuring that their unique needs are planned for and delivered.
- Recommend and implement appropriate internal support structures to meet the needs of all learners.
- Ensure that data generated by assessments are accurate and facilitate additional student assessments to identify any barriers to learning.
- Ensure that students are aware how they will become successful learners by achieving their Individual Education Plan targets.
- Coordinate and facilitate external professionals who contribute to student developmental needs through planning and review meetings.
Behaviour Attendance and Punctuality
- Support the inclusion of all learners into school by leading on issues associated with attendance and absence.
- Support all staff to work with learners in creative ways to promote regular, punctual, purposeful attendance.
- Ensure that the main class teacher is the focal point and a valued, well-informed contact for all parents and carers.
- Have an enthusiasm which motivates and supports all staff and encourages a shared understanding of the contribution they can make to all aspects of learners lives.
- To maintain and develop effective communication and links with parents and to provide a solution focused approach regarding learners’ well-being and achievement.
- Have strategic oversight in the implementation of school monitoring systems as they refer to analysis and evaluation of student care and achievement.
- Lead on student voice to appropriately reflect the aspirations of all learners in the school community.
- Provide guidance, oversight and support to the Student Leadership Coordinator to ensure academy-wide student voice initiatives are fully supported.
Teaching and Learning
- Maintain a high profile as an example of best and leading practice within the classroom demonstrating how individual learner needs can be met in an inclusive classroom environment.
- Ensure best practice is informed by empirical research continuously using in-house expertise to ensure ongoing professional development.
- Ensure that suitable professional development opportunities are available, budgeted, and cascaded, with appropriate evaluation to maximize impact on individual and collective student outcomes.
- Provide support and training for key front-line staff in the different pedagogical approaches to overcoming specific barriers to learning.
- Attend Middle Management meetings and/or Departmental meetings to promote specific CPD in accordance with school policy.
- Foster a whole school commitment to engage in school focused CPD, which is effective and relevant to the inclusion of learners with additional needs inclusive of English as an Additional Language and Gifted and Talented learners.
- Ensure robust systems exist whereby all staff can benefit from the collation and dissemination of exceptional inclusive practice.
- Ensure that all members of the school community have access to a range of induction and continuing professional learning opportunities in relation to inclusion of all.
- Advocate for all learners and challenge all colleagues to work in alternative ways to help every student achieve their own potential.
- Work alongside the School Improvement Partner (Inclusion) to timetable appropriate and comprehensive observation coverage.
- Monitor the impact of teaching and learning on inclusion through teachers planning, work sampling and scrutiny.
- Ensure that monitoring informs effective adaptation and relevant next steps in learning.
- Provide monitoring data to the School Leadership Team for audit purposes related to teaching and learning approaches across stages.
- Oversee and facilitate pre planned learning walks between class teachers and the inclusion team.
- Oversee and coordinate feedback.
- Specific SMART targets in support of the SIP, as indicated by the Head of School
United Arab Emirates
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
RAK Academy is an independent, co-educational international family of schools, situated in beautiful Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), the northernmost emirate of the UAE. Just one hour’s drive from Dubai International Airport and 20 minutes’ drive from Ras Al K...