We are looking for an enthusiastic and well qualified Primary cover learning assistant to join our team of cover staff to build a stable and reliable pool that we can call upon for last minute emergencies (e.g. due to sickness) and short-term absences.
Our cover staff work under a framework contract, which is an agreement whereby the School can invite a cover teacher / learning assistant to work for a short period at a fixed rate of pay.
Key responsibilities of a cover learning assistant at GES
- Liaise closely with class teachers to understand what is required for each lesson and what specific support is needed.
- Support pupils by: clarifying and explaining instructions; ensuring children are able to use equipment and materials provided; motivating and encouraging; assisting with behaviour management; helping with the teaching of reading, writing, speaking, spelling, handwriting, presentation, mathematics and other subjects across the curriculum; helping children to concentrate on and complete work set; developing methods of promoting and reinforcing children’s confidence and self-esteem.
- Feed back to teachers any observations or other relevant information to help the children’s learning.
- Liaise with teachers about any children with specific learning needs or causing learning concerns
- Carry out administrative and supervisory duties efficiently and conscientiously
- Act in accordance with the policies of the School and in particular with the principles laid down in the Staff Handbook, Staff Code of Conduct, ICT Acceptable Use Policy and Safeguarding & Child Protection Policy.
We keep an open mind in the consideration of any applicant who believes they have something special and valuable to contribute.
• Experience of acting as a learning assistant or working with children
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Reside in the area for the foreseeable future
• Able to take on last minute, part-time, covers
• Own an up-to-date work permit for Switzerland
• Able to communicate effectively with pupils, parents and colleagues and to work as part of a collaborative team
• Degree level qualifications
• Good IT skills
How to apply
Please complete our online application form before noon on Monday 23rd November. A brief cover letter and/or curriculum vitae may also be submitted but will not be accepted in place of the application form. Interviews will be held on Thursday 26th November 2020.
Geneva English School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers, enhanced national/international criminal records checks and prohibition from teaching checks. In some instances, social media / Internet checks may also be carried out.
Geneva English School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years