An opportunity has arisen for outstanding teachers to come and join us at the Pelican School on the idyllic island of Canouan, in the Southern Grenadines. However, we are not only looking for the right teacher, we also really need the right type of person. Someone who can demonstrate an appreciation of both the rewards and challenges of living on a small, remote island. The school is a high performing institution who are striving to move to the next level of excellence following a recent relocation and expansion. A teacher who demonstrates self-motivation, determination to succeed and is both pragmatic and a problem solver, would be a good fit.
Pelican School is based on the small Caribbean island of Canouan, in the Southern Grenadines. We are a CIS accredited school who use the Cambridge International Primary Curriculum, infused with input from both the National Curriculum for England and Wales, and the local OECS curriculum. We operate classes from Kindergarten to Grade 6. In January 2019, the school relocated to a new purpose built facility during phase one of the opening of a wonderful new community education campus which, when completed, will include 2 primary schools, a secondary school, a pre-school, fantastic outdoor learning and recreation spaces, library facilities, a purpose built science lab, and a state-of-the art I.T suite. It is a very exciting time to be part of this expansion and relocation to this fantastic new facility and the teachers we recruit are joining us at a time when they will have the opportunity to have a great impact on the future of education on the island.
- A Bachelors of Education or subject relevant degree from an established university, combined with a Postgraduate Certificate / Diploma in Primary Education.
- Qualified Teacher Status.
- Full time teaching experience in a high performing local school or reputable international school which uses the Cambridge or UK curriculum
- Excellent working knowledge of primary age curricula – Cambridge International Primary and English National Curriculum preferred
- Experience of conducting assessment and reporting using Standardised Attainment Testing, ongoing academic tracking, and Cambridge Checkpoint Examinations
- A flexible, understanding approach to what island life is like and the challenges that come with it.
- A willingness to go above and beyond. This is not a standard 9-5 teaching job and the successful applicants will be people who are willing to be involved in all aspects of school, community and island life, to ensure the success of the project.
The successful applicants will be teachers who are professional, dedicated, willing to go above and beyond to ensure the success of the school, be involved in all aspects of school, community and island life, and have a great sense of adventure. In return we offer the opportunity to work with a fantastic bunch of students and staff in a location like no other! Island life on Canouan is picture perfect and lazy weekend spent by the beach, on a boat trip around surrounding islands or in a local restaurant, offer a more relaxing and stress free experience of teaching than many people are used to. However, it is worth remembering that island life is not for everyone and is a very different proposition to teaching in a large, bustling city. Applicants are encouraged to strongly consider if they are not only the right type of teacher, but the right type of person, before applying.
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- Allowance for medical cover.
- Annual flights for teacher, spouse and dependents
- Housing and utilities provided.
- Relocation allowance
- Full remission for tuition fees of staff children.
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to send a short letter of application (no longer than one page), a C.V with the contact details of 3 referees, and a recent photograph, to the Head of School, Mr Alan James Lynch at email@example.com. The letter of application should address not only why their academic and teaching record are suited to these roles, but also why they feel they would be the right type of person for life on an island school.
Closing Date: 14th April – Candidates are encouraged to apply early as we reserve the right to make appointments as and when the correct candidates are identified.