We are looking to appoint an experienced and fully qualified Primary Class Teacher (Key Stage 2) for a maternity cover from April 2021 until January 2022, with possibility of extension. St Julian’s is a well-resourced successful non-selective British international school with a reputation for academic excellence. We have motivated students and a hard-working and collegiate staff. We understand that every student requires more than academic skills to succeed, and we believe in cultivating academic excellence through holistic education.
About St Julian's School
- We are a well-resourced, successful, non-selective British international school with a reputation for academic excellence, founded in 1932.
- We currently welcome approximately 1,200 pupils aged 3-18 of more than 50 different nationalities. Our students have been described as "outstanding representatives and ambassadors of the St Julian's School spirit: open, caring, curious" (CIS & NEASC Team Visit Report, November 2018).
- We offer the English National Curriculum from Nursery to Year 11 and the IB Diploma in Years 12-13, in addition to the Portuguese National Curriculum from 1º to 9º ano.
- The IBO recently noted “promoting international-mindedness” as a particular strength of our school (IBO DP Evaluation Report, August 2019).
- "The teachers and staff enjoy one of the warmest and most supportive professional climates imaginable." (CIS & NEASC Team Visit Report, November 2018).
- We have been accredited by CIS (Council of International Schools) and NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges) since 1998, we are a Member of COBIS and our Head of School is an International Member of HMC (Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference);
- We value skills-based learning along with meeting the rigorous requirements of the English National Curriculum, International GCSEs and IB Diploma. We seek to constantly improve the provision for learning.
The successful candidate must:
- Be based in Portugal in the wider Lisbon area as of mid-March 2021 (mandatory);
- Be a passionate and committed teacher;
- Have teaching qualification and experience in the English National Curriculum;
- Have experience teaching Primary students (aged 3-11);
- Have a proven track record of outstanding practice;
- Have a growth-mindset looking to continually improve;
- Be able to engage, motivate and support children, staff and parents;
- Be a reflective, flexible practitioner with the ability to think creatively and take risks;
- Have an advanced ability to use ICT to support and enhance learning within the classroom;
- Have the interpersonal skills needed to work successfully within teams;
- Have a strong learning-focused philosophy;
- Support the vision, ethos and policies of the school;
- Work in teams to create and maintain an effective learning environment and code of behaviour which promotes and secures good teaching, effective learning and enables all students to achieve their full potential;
- Work in teams to create and maintain an effective partnership with parents and staff to support and improve students’ achievement and personal development;
- Be committed to own professional development to enhance capacity to deal with the complexity of the role;
- A working knowledge of Google Apps and the confidence to work with iPads and other 1-to-1 technology would be an advantage.
We will provide:
- A competitive salary and benefits package;
- An initial 10-month contract (April 2021 - January 2022) with extension possible;
- A professionally stimulating and collaborative working environment.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 28 February. Interviews will take place via Zoom throughout March 2021. Early applications are strongly encouraged and we reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date.
St Julian’s School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. As such, all offers of employment are subject to a criminal record check (DBS or equivalent).
St. Julian's School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
St Julian’s School is a private co-educational not-for-profit school founded in 1932 with a strong record of academic achievement and extra-curricular activity. Located on a beautiful site in Carcavelos, between central Lisbon and Casc...