School 21 is a pioneering 4 to 18 school in Stratford, East London that is developing a rich curriculum and a range of exciting pedagogies. This is your chance to be part of a growing body of exceptional teachers who are rigorous about the basics of phonics, literacy and maths and at the cutting edge of new thinking on oracy (speaking), storytelling and well-being.
School 21 is a very special and different kind of place to work in. We empower staff to find their voice and their creativity. We offer collaboration and learning across ages and subjects. We have developed a professional development programme that sees teaching as a craft - an intellectual and practical profession that draws its energy from rich conversation. We believe strongly in developing the full potential of all staff.
Our aim is for children to grow and produce beautiful work. In the last few years children have crafted some stunning outcomes including a toy museum, their own planets, a photography and poetry exhibition and their own dramatic fairy tale production. Our children learn at an early age to work in teams, ask challenging enquiry questions and think deeply about the world around them. We are looking for new teachers to add to this spirit of creativity and lead different aspects of this work.
At School 21 we believe that the purpose of education is to develop the whole child: head (academics), heart (character and well-being) and hand (generating ideas, problem solving, creating extraordinary authentic outcomes).
School 21 has established a strong track record and a growing reputation, for example being the first and only international case study chosen by US educators, Edutopia https://www.edutopia.org/school/school-21.
There was strong recognition in our Ofsted report for the ethos and approach of the school:
"Pupils across the school make exceptional progress."
"Pupils have excellent attitudes to learning, impeccable manners and show respect for everyone.”
“Staff morale is exceptionally high. Teachers at the early stages of their career value the ‘fantastic’ professional development and opportunities to learn from each other. Those with more experience said that they have become much better teachers since joining the school.”
Through project-based learning "pupils achieve remarkable standards of work and demonstrated knowledge and skills at levels beyond those expected for their age group."
“Pupils talk and discuss with a maturity and confidence that is remarkable for their years."
The successful candidate will be:
- An excellent primary teacher
- A skilled teacher of English Language including oracy, phonics and Maths
- A skilled teacher of reading and passionate about building a love for reading in students
- A collaborative planner, able to work across subjects and primary year groups
- Creative in implementing curriculum innovation
- Interested in developing the whole child – head, heart and hand
- Experienced in dealing with complex pastoral challenges and working effectively with families to maximise pupil progress
- Experienced in developing a strong class culture: embedding our school values of humanity, responsibility, openness, community and excellence
ABOUT SCHOOL 21:
- 4 to 18 mixed, inclusive school in the heart of Stratford, Newham
- Cutting edge pedagogy and curriculum
- Small - only 80 children in each year group
- We have plans to set up two new schools in close proximity to School 21 which will give staff more opportunities to grow and develop.
- Exceptional CPD
- The chance to network with outstanding practitioners and learn from the best
- Collaborative working across the 4 to 18 school
- A strong feedback culture so that teachers can develop in areas of their practice that are important to them
- Every teacher being part of a team/circle that develops strategic practice
Apply by: 9am, Friday, 3rd December 2021
Likely interview date: Monday 13th December 2021
School 21 is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
About School 21
School 21 is a pioneering 4 to 18 school in Stratford, East London, for girls and boys and children from all starting points and backgrounds. We are looking for the next cohort of teachers who want to continue to shape the school so t...