Azerbaijan British College (ABC) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced, dynamic and innovative senior leader in education as Principal to join our school for a July 15th 2018 start.
Applicants must be UK qualified teachers with QTS or equivalent, with both teaching and management experience from British schools.
Established in 2013, ABC is a new education initiative founded by State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR). From small beginnings on a site west of central Baku, the school moved to a purpose-built site in Neftchiler area, the eastern part of the city in September 2014, which is close to the main highway to the airport. The buildings are spacious and there is room for further expansion in the future. In addition to classrooms, there are well equipped laboratories, two computer laboratories, facilities for Art and Music, library, fully equipped theatre, indoor six-lane swimming pool, indoor sports hall and a large fitness room with the latest equipment, and a planetarium.
At present, the school has pupils from Nursery through to Year 12, and a year 13 class (final year of A-level) will open in September 2018. Pupils follow the curriculum of England and Wales, but with focus on an international outlook. Those whose nationality is Azerbaijani (over 80% of the current roll) must also fulfil the requirements of the national government regarding the study of their country’s culture and language. The maximum class size is 18 pupils. The international lead teacher has a responsibility to ensure that the local teacher is fully involved, contributing his or her expertise on an equal basis.
- Salary (tax free) : 60 000 – 78 000 USD plus profit sharing (bonuses depend on school profitability).
- Annual flight allowance.
- Housing allowance of 1000 AZN (currency of Azerbaijan per month.
- Private medical insurance inside Azerbaijan.
- Mandatory casualty insurance
- Free access to our gym and swimming pool.
- Relocation allowance of 1 000 AZN on arrival in Baku.
- Working day approximately 7:30 to 17.00 Monday to Friday.
- Approximately 210 working days per year
- Free lunch at school Monday – Friday
- Transportation to and from the nearest metro station Monday to Friday
Applicants must be UK (or comparable) qualified teachers with a relevant UK teaching qualification and QTS (or equivalent), and experience teaching and managing in British schools.
The right candidate:
- Can demonstrate a track record of achievement in education, including several years of successful senior leadership experience in diverse, multicultural and multinational schools.
- Has proven experience of leading, developing and motivating teams with a clear commitment to the continuing professional development of all colleagues.
- Is a passionate educator with the personal academic credentials to command the respect of staff, students and parents.
- Exhibits collaborative and visionary leadership to lead his or her experienced Senior Leadership Team to deliver impactful results for student outcomes and advocate best practice in teaching and learning.
- Possess a creative and pragmatic mind with the ability to lead innovations in teaching and learning and the broader activity of the school.
- Leads with a strategic and decisive style, suitable for a highly successful school within a competitive environment.
- Demonstrates understanding of how to blend the best of premium international curricula with a local Azerbaijani curriculum. This should be done using contemporary international thinking to create a distinctive positioning for the school.
- Is an ambassador and helps build the brand and reputation of the school
- Demonstrates a flair for developing managerial and educational talent
- Respects, appreciates and understands a variety of cultures and societies, building strong relationships with all members of the school community
- Is committed to achieving the best possible outcomes for every student in our care and engages with children, staff and parents to ensure that we identify, understand and meet their educational aims and needs.
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills characterised by high emotional intelligence, and the cultural sensitivity and global perspective to relate well to people at all levels and from a diversity of backgrounds.
- Has an understanding of how to work effectively with a Board of Governors.
- Is a creative thinker with an aptitude for thinking differently and finding innovative solutions to problems.
- Is an inspirational, visible leader with the charisma, energy and enthusiasm to engage all parts of the school community.
- Has a naturally collaborative style of leadership balanced by the capacity to be decisive and a willingness to be firm when required.
- Demonstrates high levels of self-awareness, resilience, flexibility and personal and professional integrity.
- Has the inner confidence, personal authority and sensitivity to succeed as a long-serving and successful Principal.
- Establishes and promotes high standards and expectations for all students and staff for academic performance and responsibility for behavior.
- Supervises the instructional programs of the school, evaluating lesson plans and observing classes on a regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with research on learning and child growth and development.
- Establishes procedures for evaluation and selection of instructional materials and equipment.
- Supervises in a fair and consistent manner effective discipline and attendance systems with high standards, consistent with the philosophy, values, and mission of the school. Ensures a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale among staff and students.
- Establishes a professional rapport with students and with staff that has their respect. Displays the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel.
- Maintains positive, cooperative and mutually supportive relationships with staff, parents and Board of Governors.
- Nurtures both students and teachers to achieve their greatest potential academically, instructionally, emotionally, physically and socially.
- Maintains in the school a spirit conducive to student development and study.
- Provides a positive atmosphere throughout the school day.
- Provide periodical reporting to the Board of Governors, including preparing, presenting, implementing and evaluating the annual plan, as well as preparing the annual report.
- Demonstrates instructional leadership to enhance school effectiveness by improving instruction and augmenting student performance.
- Implements and maintains a system to monitor student progress and the school improvement process.
- Is responsible for the academic progress and welfare of pupils
- Monitors, evaluates and reviews the effects of policies, priorities and targets of the school
- Provides consistent and continuous school-wide focus on each student’s achievement
- Ensures that parents and pupils are well-informed about the curriculum, attainment and progress
- Manages, monitors and reviews the range, quality, quantity & use of resources
- Implement and sustain effective systems for the management of staff performance, incorporating appraisal and targets for teachers, including targets for pupils’ achievement
- Oversee the management of pupil assessment and reporting systems
Applications are warmly welcomed from suitably qualified candidates. The initial job offer is for three years, whereas the contract is renewable for one year at a time, in accordance with the country’s labour code. As we cater to the needs of children from nearly 20 different countries, ABC has an international approach to teaching. We have qualified teachers with a wide international experience and various cultural backgrounds. Our teaching community currently consists of more than 80 members of staff from all five continents.
Interviews for short-listed applicants will be held via Skype. To apply for this position, please send your CV, two reference letters (one of which should be your current/latest line manager) on school letterhead and stamped, signed by the authorized person, a supporting letter & photograph to email@example.com by the 25th of April 2018. We encourage candidates to apply early. We reserve the right to appoint a candidate earlier, should we receive applications from particularly well qualified applicants early in the process.