We are seeking to appoint an inspirational and dynamic Principal to lead Severndale Specialist Academy from September 2021. The current postholder is moving to a new post at the end of the summer term. There is an opportunity to negotiate the starting date depending on the successful candidates current position.
The academy (part of the Learning Community Trust) needs an ambitious leader who can build on the strong foundations within the school. The academy is well established and transferred to LCT on the 1st of February 2021, prior to this it was a single academy trust. The academy has many strengths, a great staff and provides a highly inclusive environment for young people with a wide range of Special Needs including PMLD, SLD and MLD.
The academy is part of the Learning Community Trust, which is a Multi-Academy Trust based in Telford and Shropshire which currently has eight schools. The Trust was established in 2017 and is led by the CEO, Dr. Gill Eatough, who has over 20 years of experience in Headship. The Trust is committed to school improvement and collaboration to ensure we provide the best possible education for our young people. The successful candidate will have the benefit of significant support from the Trust.
Severndale is a large special school, located in Shrewsbury with just over 400 children and young people on roll and operates from the main site in Monkmoor. Severndale has two other sites, one for 30 MLD secondary age students and a sixth form provision at Shrewsbury College.
We are looking for a candidate who:
- Is charismatic and has high levels of energy, enthusiasm and resilience
- Has excellent leadership experience at senior level either as a Deputy or Headteacher within a SEND or Special School context
- Has a proven track record of high expectations and inclusion
- Understands the specific needs of students with SEND and the importance of a broad, rich and appropriate curriculum
- Has a clear focus on Teaching and Learning as well as developing the social and emotional health and well-being of students
- Is committed to working within the Trust and with all our school leaders
- Sets the highest standards of behaviour but is also extremely personable and approachable.
- Can respond to, embrace and lead change.
If this post sounds like you then we would be delighted to meet you and would welcome your application.
If you would like to have a tour and visit the school, prior to making an application, then please contact Mrs Rachel Moore, PA to the CEO on 01952 387010. Further information can be found at Severndale | Specialist Academy (severndaleschool.org) and at
Please complete our application form and the written information requested and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications – 12 noon on Monday 17th May 2021
Interview dates – Tuesday 25th/ Wednesday 26th May 2021
The Learning Community Trust is committed to safeguarding children and young people. All post holders are subject to a satisfactory DBS check, references will be checked following the Learning Community Trust recruitment and selection process. We are committed to equality and diversity.
Severndale Specialist Academy
- Special needs with state - academy funding
- Students of mixed gender, age 2 - 19 years
Severndale Specialist Academy caters for children and young people from 3-25 years old. We are a large special school with over 400 pupils and students on role.
We cater for a wide variety of needs from PMLD to MLD, on three separate sites; our main s...