The Board of Directors of the British School of Geneva invites applications for the role of Principal from April 2018.
Founded in 2005, BSG occupies a unique place on the landscape of private education in the Geneva region as the only school to offer the full English National Curriculum from EYFS through to A-Levels, and the only international school to offer A-Levels to students of all nationalities and educational backgrounds. Today, the school welcomes around 220 students from over 40 nationalities.
Students are the life-blood of any school, and at BSG all teachers, managers and administrators are committed to helping every one of them thrive and confidently attain their full potential. The concepts of inclusion, respect, motivation and achievement are fundamental and permeate every aspect of school life.
BSG has a declared and practised policy of inclusion and welcomes children with different levels of ability across the age range. Strong board support ensures that appropriate and adequate resources allow the Senior Management Team to provide the required individual care and attention to all students. In addition, and as part of this commitment, class sizes are limited to 18 students in primary and secondary and 14 students per class at A- Level.
The British School of Geneva is owned and managed by ASC Education Group, one of the largest privately-owned educational institutions in the area. (www.asc-ih.ch)
The new Principal will have full staffing, budgetary and logistical responsibility for BSG. He or she will work closely with the Chairman, the Group CEO and Senior Leadership Team to implement development plans and will maintain the standard of excellence in teaching and management as the school continues to expand in size and scope.
The Principal will be the main driver within the school of Senior Leadership Team’s plans for growth and continuous improvement in quality and breadth of provision. A credible and capable leader, the Principal will advocate BSG’s strategic vision, philosophy and objectives and will secure commitment to these amongst existing and new staff, current and prospective students and their parents, and community partners. S/he will translate this vision into tactical and operational plans and oversee their successful implementation.
The Principal will be responsible for ensuring a culture of excellence, encouragement, personal attention and openness, with zero tolerance for bullying of any kind. S/he will be responsible for developing a regular, friendly and constructive communications programme across the school community, including alumni, and will be comfortable working with Group Marketing on promoting the school appropriately within the context of its offering.
The successful candidate will:
- Have demonstrated strong educational leadership, ideally with experience of both Primary and Secondary levels, either in the UK or in an international school outside of the UK.
- Have proven classroom experience before having moved into management.
- Have experience managing all elements of a school, including recruitment and supervision of staff, setting and working to budgets, curriculum development, working with external exam boards and managing physical premises.
- Be friendly, energetic, flexible and open-minded, and will have excellent communication skills
- Be an enthusiastic team member, able to work independently and proactively with Group Senior Management, teachers, students and their families.
- Be passionate about supporting and encouraging the whole child, and will have experience working with children in a multicultural environment.
- Have a particular interest in and experience with children with special needs.
- Hold a recognised teaching certification (PGCE or equivalent).
- Have sound knowledge of the English National Curriculum and familiarity with the International, Swiss and French curricula.
- Have a high level of written and spoken English. A working knowledge of French would be an asset.
- Be an accomplished all-rounder who will have a hands-on approach to all aspects of school life and operations.
The successful candidate will receive an appropriate salary (Swiss salaries are substantially higher than in the UK and deductions are substantially lower), and excellent terms and conditions. The quality of life in Geneva is regarded by many independent surveys and observers as being among the best in the world.
Candidates are requested to send their CV along with a cover letter to
Mr Douglas Crawford, Chairman, ASC Education Group, by email only to:
firstname.lastname@example.org by 24th November, mentioning the position title in their application.
No further information about the position will be provided prior to first interview.
About the employer
More about The British School of Geneva (BSG)
Information about The British School of Geneva (BSG)
Org type Mainstream School
Funding status Independent
Age range 4 - 18 years