The Principal invites experienced boarding staff to apply for the position of Residential Houseparent. DLD College London is an independent co-educational College situated in the heart of London overlooking Westminster and the river Thames. DLD College is one of only a few boarding schools in Central London with boarding on site, and we have around 500 students from 52 different countries, of which 250 are boarders. This is a vibrant and diverse environment, offering ample opportunity for professional development and growth.
Every boarder in our bespoke boarding house is part of a ‘Huddle’ (a group of boarders organised by floor, age and gender), and each of our Residential Houseparents are responsible for the front line pastoral care of their own ‘Huddle’, working shifts throughout the week. At present, Houseparents are entitled to one weekday 48 hour period off per week. In addition, Houseparents do not work every third weekend. This provides ample opportunity for our resident staff, living in rent-free accommodation, to enjoy Central London. All meals and utilities are complimentary.
This is a unique and rewarding opportunity for a dedicated Houseparent to join our pastoral team, helping to create a ‘home away from home’ for our boarders in one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the world. The opportunities for boarders’ trips and events are second to none, and the quality of facilities in our purpose-built house are superb. We are looking for proactive, pastorally-minded staff who take initiative and care for their boarders, and who will be able to take ownership of their ‘Huddle’.
Interested candidates are welcome to discuss the position with the Director of Boarding, John J. Taylor, who can be contacted by calling the College on +44 (0) 207 935 8411.
About the Alpha Plus Group
DLD was founded in 1931 and is part of the Alpha Plus Group of schools and colleges. DLD College aims to maintain a ‘gold standard’ of educational quality. Classes are small, enabling students and teachers to focus upon the most effective ways of learning. The College offers exceptional teaching accommodation and resources.
DLD College is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. DLD College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all learners and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate checks as well as providing proof of your right to work in the UK.
Purpose of the post
To provide support and guidance to all boarders to promote their welfare and wellbeing. This is a residential post. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and as such all staff will be expected to undergo basic safeguard training and operate within these guidelines
- To work collaboratively as part of the boarding team and the wider college body.
- To work according to the boarding house rota including a combination of days, weekends and nights as required.
- To implement college policies including those pertaining to Safeguarding (Child Protection) & behaviour.
- To ensure the highest standards of supervision, support and care for boarders.
- To work within and to apply the National Minimum Standards (NMS) for Boarding together with ISI guidance.
- Assist in the management of the boarding house, the booking & induction of new students, and the organisation of student departures & room inventories
- Provide medical assistance for minor illnesses & first aid, maintain accurate medical records for students and liaise with the Nurse and local medical services where necessary
- Assist & supervise students during study sessions & guided learning, meal times, and curfew.
- Assist with the organisation and running of the students’ social calendar & activities
- Attend regular boarding meetings.
- Maintain student files to a high degree of accuracy including records of behaviour, punishment, rewards, medical history, medical assistance given, etc.
- Record any significant instances of sanctions.
- Supervision of meal times and monitoring of boarders’ diet.
- Ensure the smooth running of daily service including laundry, cleaning, maintenance & catering.
- Ensure that students are awake and leaving for lesson on time, report any illness or un/authorised attendance to college/person tutor
- Ensure that students are in the boarding house at curfew and following procedure if students are late/missing.
- Assisting with annual reviews of policies and procedures.
- Supporting a culture of warmth, community & support within boarding.
- To undertake other duties as required in line with college needs.
College Website: www.dldcollege.co.uk
Closing date for applications: Friday 9th March 2018
Interviews: w/c Monday 19th March 2018
Please click here to go to the Alpha Plus Group careers page to complete an online application.