About East London Arts & Music (ELAM)
ELAM is a world-class 16-19 Academy which opened in September 2014. ELAM offers young people everything that they will need to lead successful lives within the music, games design and film and television sectors.
Our vision is to better the creative industries of tomorrow. We believe this can be achieved by increasing the access routes into those industries for talented young people. The creative industries in the UK continue to do well and are currently worth £92 Billion to the economy, while growing at more than double the speed of the wider economy. However, unlike many other industries, it is not always clear how to get into these jobs and therefore there is often lack of diversity within these sectors. Increasing the access routes to everyone will therefore increase the quality of talent and the continued growth of the sector long term.
ELAM seeks to achieve this by providing industry standard courses for our trainees in Music, Games Design and Film and Television. We have partnered with sector leading organisations including YouTube, Universal Music and Creative Assembly to devise a curriculum that will develop the future leaders of these sectors by meeting the relevant knowledge, skills and cultural demands. In addition, all trainees at ELAM undertake a study of Maths and English as we identified the skills provided by these subjects, such as written and oral communication, problem solving, data analysis and research are the key traits of the current leaders of these fields.
We had our first full Ofsted inspection in May 2017 and received a grading of Outstanding in every category and while this is a huge achievement and something that we are immensely proud of, we are also still a long way from meeting our vision. There is still a lot of work to do and as a school we are restless in the pursuit of achieving this.
Please do read the person specification below as it should give you a good summary of what life at ELAM is like and what to expect. ELAM is an exciting place to work and probably different from many other institutions. Our staff culture is incredibly important to us and is one of our key strengths. This is held together by a shared approach to working really hard but also an acknowledgement that our work and relationships as a team should and can be fun.
If you’re excited by this then please do apply as you will get the chance to come in and meet the team and get a feel for what we do in person.
Mik Nelson- Principal
Role Purpose & Description
The purpose of the School Business Support Manager is to support the Senior Leadership Team in developing and implementing efficient and effective processes to ensure the school runs smoothly.
- Managing the development of policies and procedures across ELAM and updating the staff handbook
- Maintaining pupil and staff data records, entering and processing data using standard software packages
- Event management and communication around the ELAM calendar (Parent’s Evening, Open Evening, Industry events, Cultural events, holiday periods etc)
- Exams Officer - entering all exam data, planning and organising exams (diary and venue), results day
- Local arrangements for staff recruitment (job description, liaise with HR re posting advert, filtering applications, arranging interviews, interview timetable, rooming, identity verification for DBS check
- School Travel arrangements for trips etc.(TfL etc.)
- Administering Free School Meals, collecting trainee data, verifying paperwork, making awards, maintaining list of eligible trainees, advising Finance Office of daily uptake, keeping accurate records, dealing with all trainee enquiries.
- Administering bursaries - collecting trainee data, verifying paperwork, making awards, advising Finance Office of awards and payment details, keeping accurate records, dealing with all trainee enquiries.
- Line management of Catering Assistant including probation reviews, appraisal, CPD
- Liaison with Premises Manager
- Liaison with Trust Finance and Operations Director/Finance Office
- Recording staff absences on MIS
- Recording and monitoring training (Smartlog and other)
- Ensuring website is updated including:
- Publishing admission arrangements for forthcoming year
- Required policies and procedures
- Posting vacancies
- Undertake DBS checks for local volunteers (mentors, work experience, counsellors)
- Supporting the local Governing Body and Clerk to Governors - local arrangements (e.g. meeting rooms, refreshments)
- Marketing ELAM’s facilities and managing lettings
- Line Management of Receptionist
- Ordering and purchasing, checking receipts and invoices
- Checking and reconciling catering income and petty cash
- To provide general support to the Senior Leadership Team at ELAM
Characteristics are to be considered essential unless marked otherwise.
- Experience of school business administration
- Experience of working with young people (desirable)
- Experience of working in a values driven environment (desirable)
- Excellent communication skills
- Numerate - general financial aptitude and understanding
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organisation and planning skills
- ICT proficiency and an understanding of how to use database and word processing software.
- Robust and resilient
- A proactive approach to their professional work and regularly goes the extra mile
- Diligent and highly organised
- Able to complete tasks consistently with a good attention to detail
- A commitment to ELAM’s Values of Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity and Drive
- Able to establish good working relationships with staff, Trainees, parents and other relevant stakeholders including external agencies
- Takes an honest, respectful and empathetic approach to people and situations
- Willing to have a strong, open and honest relationship with colleagues
- A strong aptitude for learning to continuously develop personally and professionally
- Good English and Maths exam results
- Degree or further education (essential)
Salary and how to apply
Salary: £26,000 - £33,000 (Dependant on experience)
Pension: Contributory pension scheme (Local Government Scheme)
Contract Type: Permanent, Full time
Working hours: 8.25 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (including 1 hour unpaid lunch break).
The start date for this role would be as soon as possible and no later than September 2019, with ELAM looking to engage with the appointed candidate prior to this.
This post is subject to receipt of a satisfactory Enhanced DBS Check.
To apply for this role please send a covering letter and CV to Angela Isaac, Business Director at firstname.lastname@example.org