The Taipei European School is seeking a social-emotional counsellor for students, mainly at 10-18 years of age. The counsellor will work with students, teachers, parents and staff to promote students’ wellbeing.
If you are interested in joining our team of committed and enthusiastic educators please complete our application form online and where you will also be asked to upload your CV and a Covering Letter in which you share your experience and enthusiasm for the role. As an employer committed to safeguarding the welfare of children, it is necessary that when completing your application form there are no gaps shown in your career history. Any breaks of service must be accounted for.
Taipei European School is an equal opportunities employer and is fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people. Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection. Any job offer is subject to the receipt of two supervisory references (including current employer) and current and previous Police Checks.
Specific responsibilities are as follows:
• Work in collaboration with pastoral care teams and key stakeholders in response to counselling needs of students through advocacy, consultation, teaming and professional development to provide every student with comprehensive counselling supports.
• Provide school-wise intervention and workshops relating to personal, social and emotional development to promote a positive and caring climate among students, staff and community.
• Provide short-term individual and group counselling to students and their families to facilitate personal and social educational development, including times of crisis or interventions for child protection cases.
• Establish and maintain lines of communication across schools to provide comprehensive guidance for students across different age groups.
• Collaborate with students, teaching staff, learning support team and parents in implementing strategies to maximize student potential, balancing and supporting academic, social and emotional growth. Share information on a need to know basis.
• Work with parents (as appropriate) and referral agencies in facilitating the personal and social and educational development of students.
• Complete observation and initial evaluations to determine the referred students’ counseling needs, including risk assessment for self-harming behavior in the initial counselling session.
• Develop effective teaching, learning and assessment strategies to support social-emotional adaptation of students with internalized or externalized behavioural problems.
• Support students in transition (new students, exiting students, school to school)
Development and Training
• Serve on the Counselling team and pastoral care team as an active member of annual development planning.
• Collaborate with Director of Counselling in planning and/or delivering annual staff professional learning on social emotional learning and wellbeing.
• Attend International Conferences (IACAC, ISCA etc.), professional workshops or peer supervision sessions
Requirements, Skills and Capabilities
• A master degree in school counseling, counselling or clinical psychology. Licensed to practice School Counselling services by a relevant body.
• Minimum of two years as a full-time counsellor in schools with children, adolescents and their families.
• Experiences in working as a mental health professional in a multi-cultural setting. Prior international teaching experience is desirable.
• Capacity to build long-term and meaningful relationships with stakeholders, executives and staff.
• Organizational and management skills in educational and classroom settings
• Evidence of recent professional development activities
• Multilingual candidates speaking English/French or English/German or English/ Chinese are preferred.
• Ability to work independently under minimum supervision.
• Ability to keep records, reports and conversations in confidence.
• Passionate about inspiring students to achieve their personal best.
• Open-minded, and continuously reflecting, learning, and growing in your profession.
• Emotional resilience to work effectively in a dynamic and diverse community.
• Great sense of humor and good communication skills
Taipei European School (TES) is an independent, co-educational day school, which was formed through the amalgamation of The Taipei British School (TBS), Ecole Française de Taipei (EFT) and Deutsche Schule Taipei (DST). It now operates as a single Eur...