Job reference: 222494
Location: Chesneys Centre, Regent St, Featherstone, Pontefract WF7 5EW
Wakefield was cited as a case study in HMCI Annual Report in December 2015, praising the strengthened arrangements for school improvement. We have more schools that are good or outstanding than the national average and this is an opportunity to secure key posts in Wakefield's drive for continuous improvement for all Wakefield children and young people. The School Improvement Team works closely with Headteachers, school governors and a range of LA services and with HMI to ensure the best possible standards of education for our children and young people.
With successful senior leadership in a school and possibly LA experience behind you, you will be School Improvement Adviser for a group of schools and take the lead on specific school improvement initiatives. A deep understanding of whole school strategies for raising achievement is essential. We are seeking to appoint candidates who can work with primary schools and academies, or with special and secondary schools and academies or across all three school and academy types.
- have a proven track record of school improvement as Headteacher or senior leader of a good or better school or whilst working in a LA role and understand both the current and future educational context and school improvement strategies
- demonstrate strong leadership skills and champion improving outcomes for pupils
- promote school-led leadership and work in partnership with leaders in allocated schools
- have an excellent understanding of the context in which schools work and strategies to overcome underachievement
- understand how to use schools' data and other performance management information systems to support school improvement
- work with a wide variety of stakeholders in an ever-changing and rapidly evolving educational landscape
- be knowledgeable about Ofsted processes and may be undertaking inspections on behalf of Ofsted
- be familiar with the expectations of Local Authority work and should be able to contribute to the work of the team.
Successful candidates will be asked to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. The post is based at Chesney's in Featherstone but involves travelling across Wakefield and working outside of normal office hours to meet the needs of the schools.
We welcome applications from everyone irrespective of gender, ethnic group and disability.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We promote diversity and want a workforce that reflects the population of Wakefield.
For an informal discussion about the post contact Sue Lowndes Interim Head of school Strategy and Performance via Mark Lord on 01977 721526
For further information and guidance, or to apply online please visit: www.wakefield.gov.uk. Alternatively, you can contact the Recruitment Line on 0345 8506506 (typetalk calls welcome) for an application form.
Closing date: Friday 13 October 2017.
Wakefield Council is wholly committed to ensuring children and young people are fully supported and safe. We are dedicated to the safeguarding of all children and young people whilst promoting their welfare and expect all staff and volunteers to share this responsibility.