Salary: Scale 2 £5092.93 (actual salary)
Contract Type: Term Time (38 weeks) 10.83 hours per week
Hours: 11.30am to 1.40pm
Contract Term: Permanent
We are looking to appoint an SMSA to join our team working in the Primary and Secondary phase. For this post you will need experience of looking after or working with children and good verbal skills.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To ensure the safety, welfare and good conduct, either individually or as part of a team, of pupils at lunchtimes.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
1. Assist children in the dining room.
2. To supervise the play period of pupils during the lunch period.
3. To use positive management strategies to ensure that the children are behaving appropriately in line with the schools behaviour policy at all times including in the dining room, playground and during wet lunch times.
4. To ensure that the playgrounds (or classrooms during wet play) are supervised at all times during lunchtimes.
5. To take reasonable precautions whilst in charge of the pupils to see that they do nothing that is likely to injure themselves or others.
6. In the event of any injuries to the pupil to deal with minor first aid. To report more major injuries report immediately to the Welfare Officer and to follow accident reporting procedures at all times.
7. In the event of any sickness to, clean the pupil and the affected area and refer the pupil to the School Welfare Officer.
8. Clean up after spillage of food or water in dining area during the service of the meal to avoid possible accidents.
9. To help develop pupils’ social skills and help them to resolve disputes fairly.
10. To control entry to the dining room and their behaviour whilst they collect meals and find a seat.
11. To supervise pupils whilst they eat their lunch, generally maintain good order and the use of cutlery and drinking water including supervision of stacking of plates.
12. Promote the school healthy eating policy by encouraging pupils to eat healthy packed lunches.
13. To follow the school’s policies at all times.
14. To implement the Child Protection Policy at all times.
15. To undertake training in directed hours.
16. Take responsibility yourself for supervising children and do not socialise or chat when on duty.
17. To work under the direction of the Head teacher and to undertake such duties commensurate with the level of post as may be allocated by the Head teacher or his/her appropriate representative.
1. Dress code: Clothing should be practical and comfortable i.e. trousers, smart jeans, jumpers, shirts, blouses and suitable footwear.
2. To undertake any other duties commensurate with the post as may be required by your line manager or the Principal.
• The ability to communicate fluently with adults and children in English.
• The ability to work as part of a team and work under own initiative
• The ability to follow instructions
• The ability to guide and supervise the children.
• An interest and willingness to undertake appropriate training as offered
• Patient, tolerant, sympathetic and, fair but firm
• Enjoy being with children
• Hardworking and conscientious
• A willingness to be flexible
• A respect for confidentiality
• Previous experience of working/helping within a school
• A First Aid qualification