Hours: 37.5 hours per week, 42 weeks per annum (term time + 3 weeks (42 weeks))
Barnsley Academy is part of United Learning, a large, and growing, group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England.
Our schools work as a team and achieve more by sharing than any single school could. Our subject specialists, our Group-wide intranet, our own curriculum and our online learning portal all help us share knowledge and resource, helping to simplify work processes and manage workloads for an improved work-life balance.
As a Group, we can reward our staff better: with good career opportunities, better pay, benefits, and ultimately, the satisfaction of helping children to succeed. We invest in our staff wellbeing. Our academies each have at least eight INSET days per year (with three of those solely dedicated to planning), and an ongoing group-wide wellbeing programme. It's an ethos we call ‘the best in everyone’.
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and organised Science Technician to join our team at Barnsley Academy. The purpose of the role is to support the Science department by preparing materials and equipment for lessons and projects.
Main duties will include:
- To prepare, set up and deliver equipment (including computer resources), apparatus, chemicals, physics and biological resources for lessons, as requested by staff.
- To assist teaching staff with demonstrations and practical lessons.
- To maintain an orderly and catalogued system of storage of apparatus used in Science teaching.
- To carry out inventories of apparatus.
- To maintain and keep up to date sufficient supplies of equipment, apparatus, chemicals, consumables, etc. and to arrange for safe disposal of all out of date or otherwise surplus chemicals, equipment and apparatus.
- To repair and maintain apparatus and ensure expired components arereplaced as required.
What we can offer you:
- Excellent facilities and resources.
- A chance to become part of one of the largest groups of academies in the country.
- Caring, dedicated and friendly students.
- Colleagues who are supportive, friendly and who are committed to each other’s professional development.
- Excellent employee benefits which include an excellent pension scheme.
What we would like from you;
- To have excellent people skills, both with staff and students.
- To train as a qualified First Aider or already hold this qualification.
- To be a team player.
- To have a sound knowledge of Microsoft Office packages.
- A fundamental belief in the power of education to enable pupils to achieve anything they set their minds to.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an Academy making year on year progress under current leadership. In turn, we are looking for a candidate committed to playing a part in transforming the lives of our young people. Please see the Job Description and Person Specification for further information.
Barnsley Academy is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful appointment will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Please apply online by clicking on the following link
Closing date: Wednesday, 23rd October 2019 at 9 am.
Interviews: To take place later week commencing 4th November 2019
Where teaching is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.