Reports to: Senior Science Technician
Hours: 8am - 4pm, Monday-Friday, term time plus 5 days
Salary: £16,900 - £17,800 per annum depending on experience
Main Purpose of the Job
Under the instruction/guidance of the Science teachers to assist them to deliver Science lessons by providing support and preparing and maintaining specialist/equipment and resources for demonstration or use by the students.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Preparing and setting out apparatus and chemicals for practical lessons based on teacher’s requisition.
• Carrying out risk assessments where necessary and making sure health and safety measures are followed in setting up each practical, by referring to CLEAPSS resources and/or discussing with colleagues and teachers.
• Clearing and tidying up laboratories following each practical session.
• Carrying out safe disposal of chemicals and biological waste following CLEAPSS guidelines.
• Providing assistance to (Chemistry) teachers and students during practical sessions when necessary.
• Collaborating with colleagues to share workload at busy times and covering absence to maintain the standard of technical service at the science department.
• Carrying out routine laboratory servicing, mainly for two Chemistry labs and prep rooms following Gordon’s lab servicing schedule
• Ensuring that the chemicals and equipment are available in stock in suitable condition and initiate orders when necessary.
• Maintaining effective communication with the teachers to follow the lesson objectives and possible improvements for the lessons and general laboratory environment.
• Trialling out experiments whenever necessary before setting up for students.
• Adhering to the Gordon’s science department health and safety and prep room management policies.
• Carrying out simple in-house repairs, calibration and maintenance of equipment.
• Requesting assistance from school maintenance and facilities department for repairs of fixtures, hand washing facilities and internal deliveries from reprographics and elsewhere.
• Keeping up to date with developments in practical science and health and safety policies through CPD events and online resources.
• Assisting colleagues in issuing text books, stock taking, placing orders and any other duties required to maintain the smooth running of Science Department.
• Restocking stationary cupboard/shelves.
• Providing ICT facilities as teachers request and reporting any problems to IT helpdesk for assistance.
• Obtaining local purchases necessary for lessons and technician tasks.
• Attending school support staff/science department/technicians meetings as required.
Person Specification Qualifications/Experience
- Chemistry A Level is essential
- A Science degree or equivalent is desirable
- Previous experience of working in a secondary school science department is desirable
- Personal Skills
- An enthusiasm for science
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
Gordon’s School is a State Boarding and Day School and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment – applicants must be willing to undergo appropriate screening including an enhanced DBS check.