Dollar Academy is recognised as one of the best independent schools in Scotland. Our beautiful campus boasts excellent facilities, and our standards and expectations in all areas are high. We have a community of more than 1,200 day pupils, 80 boarding pupils, and a staff of 240.
We are looking for a qualified, experienced second chef with creative flair and excellent management skills who can guide a team to ensure that the school’s high standards are maintained. We provide breakfast for boarders, lunch for pupils and staff every weekday, and dinner for boarders. Our aim is to deliver healthy, balanced meals, which are interesting, varied and innovative. An interest in enhancing our vegetarian and salad bar options would be an asset.
The Academy also hosts a variety of meetings, events, sporting fixtures and functions throughout the academic year where a very high standard of catering is expected.
The Second Chef reports to the Catering Manager and Head Chef.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate an enthusiasm for providing healthy, high quality food with excellent presentation, for the school dining hall, and for on-site functions and banquets, as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Applicants should, ideally, hold a City & Guilds 706/1 and 706/2 or equivalent, a current food hygiene certificate and should have substantial experience of working in a similar role possibly within a contract catering environment.
Excellent interpersonal skills are fundamental and you must be able to work harmoniously as part of a team and be helpful and polite when dealing with pupils, staff and visitors.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Support the Head Chef and work with the kitchen team to produce high quality food on a daily basis;
• Provide input into creating diverse, interesting and healthy menus befitting a modern and forward-looking school environment;
• Assist with the guidance and support of kitchen staff to ensure all tasks are effectively completed whilst fostering a climate of cooperation and respect;
• Assist the Head Chef with training of new staff;
• Ensure compliance with nutrition and hygiene regulations and safety standards;
• Set an example to ensure that issues of sustainability are taken seriously by all staff and that recycling policies are followed correctly;
• Assist the Head Chef to control costs and stay within budgets;
• Oversee the security of kitchen stores;
• Be prepared to be available for functions, as they arise;
• Carry out any reasonable request made by the Head Chef, Catering Manager, Rector, Bursar or their staff;
Normal hours are 37.5 per week, Monday to Friday.
Our support staff are automatically enrolled in the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, to which the Governors contribute the statutory level of Employer’s Contributions.
This is a term time position and school holidays apply.
Employees whose children attend the Academy are eligible for fee remission, and details will be made available to the successful candidate.
All appointments at Dollar Academy are subject to receipt of a satisfactory PVG Scheme Record or Scheme Record Update from Disclosure Scotland. The successful candidate will be asked to make a formal application, the cost of which will be borne by the Academy.
The Academy’s Support Staff Application Form must be completed and may be downloaded by clicking the link, or call Julie Duncan, Human Resources Manager on 01259 742511 to receive a mailed copy. CVs are optional.
Completed application forms, with a covering letter, should be mailed to:
Julie Duncan, Dollar Academy Trust, Mylne Avenue, Dollar, FK14 7DU, Clackmannanshire OR emailed to Julie Duncan at duncan-j @dollaracademy.org.uk
The closing date for applications is 20th September 2019