The Halley Academy has a fantastic opportunity for an experienced and motivated Science Teacher to join us in the role of Second in Charge for the department. Joining the team for September 2019 this is a new role within the experienced and hugely knowledgeable department.
We know that excellent science teachers are in high demand which is why we are offering a recruitment and retention bonus of £2,000 (payable within your first year) to attract the right person.
Key reasons why you should apply for this role;
- Behaviour for learning has recently been rated as ‘Good’ by Ofsted
- We have a friendly and supportive team who go the extra mile and truly work collegiately
- We work within state of the art laboratories
- Our department is very well-resourced with practical equipment
- Future investment has and will continue to be made in ICT facilities across the academy
- Leadership has a focus on professionally developing staff to eventually lead teams of their own in the near future
- We strive for outstanding practice so that you can improve your own teaching, and subsequently the progress and outcomes of your students
-We offer the Middle Years Programme at Key Stage 3 and International Baccalaureate at Key Stage 5, with great training programmes in place for those who have not taught this before
In return, our successful candidate will;
- Be confident and able to teach Science across all Key Stages, including A Level
- Already possess some leadership experience, e.g Key Stage Co-ordinator or similar
- Have experience in supporting and mentoring recently qualified teachers
- Be able to demonstrate a good track record in student outcomes
- Have previous experience in delivering MYP and IB (not essential as will provide training in these remits, if required)
Working with The Halley Academy: The Halley Academy has a long and illustrious heritage being the first purpose-built comprehensive in the UK in the 1950s. We became part of Leigh Academies Trust in early 2018, a highly successful multi-academy trust offering a wealth of opportunities to all of its staff and students to collaborate, develop and grow.
The Halley is a vibrant academy on an exciting journey of rapid improvement. We are a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme in Post 16 and the IB Middle Years Programme in Key Stage 3. We are a diverse community where everyone is valued, respected and trusted, where we all work together to achieve and celebrate success. Students thrive within a culture of high aspiration, with no cap on ambition, building the skills to lead healthy, happy and successful lives.
Our dedicated staff are the most important factor in transforming lives and delivering the best outcomes for every student. Every colleague has access to a wide range of professional development opportunities, tailored to the individual depending on aspirations and key areas of interest. We are seeking to appoint talented and ambitious individuals with a tenacious mind-set to join The Halley Academy for September 2019.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As of 1st January 2019, our Trust is comprised of 23 geographically organised academies (11 secondaries, 11 primaries and 1 special) educating over 15,000 students, and employing over 2,500 talented staff. We also have three further academies in development phase, due to open in September 2020. The Trust is establishing four ‘clusters’ of academies: North West Kent; Central Kent; South East London; Medway. In addition, the Trust is responsible for one of the region’s biggest initial teaching training providers and a large teaching school.
As part of Leigh Academies Trust, you will have ample opportunity to collaborate with your peers both within the academy and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together. You are supported to undertake regular self-development to continue your professional development and hopefully progress further within the organisation.
We strive to offer a range of benefits that all employees can take advantage of which we regularly review and add to - click here to view what you’d receive as a member of staff with Leigh Academies Trust.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise.
The academy is committed to safeguarding children and successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check. Our commitment to safeguarding is underpinned by robust processes and checks which are in place across the Trust.