At HSLC, our ethos is very simple: be useful, be kind and insist that students become the very best that they can be.
If our ethos resonates with your own and you are ready for the next step in your career, you may be the person we are looking for to help lead a motivated and passionate English department, alongside the Head of English.
HSLC is a supportive and vibrant place to work and has been graded as ‘Good’ by Ofsted since 2005. A-level results place us in the top 25% nationally and we are unapologetically ambitious for every child, no matter what their background, prior attainment or needs. We believe in our mission of actively broadening horizons and promote our core values of being useful and kind.
We seek the very best practitioner who can consistently teach excellent, engaging lessons across Key Stages 3, 4 and 5. You will be able to enthuse and motivate students with your love for English and creative teaching and personality, as well as contributing towards the effective leadership of the department.
Alongside the Strategic Improvement Leader, you will:
- regularly organise and lead the weekly team T&L meeting
- use knowledge and expertise to have input and review the Strategic Department Development Plan
- use leadership skills to implement and track key strategies on the Strategic Department Development Plan
- be responsible for progress of students in KS4 and offer appropriate interventions, as well as train and lead staff on such practices
- contribute to and train the department on sharing best practice
- support the Strategic Improvement Leader in whole department and whole school initiatives.
We believe we are at the start of a very exciting journey for both students and staff. If you are determined about making a difference to the lives of young people; are keen to develop effective ideas for teaching and learning and are ambitious in developing your career, we would love you to join us.
* In addition to the Second in Department role, you are welcome to apply for one of the available T&L Research development lead posts, attracting an additional TLR 3 payment.
There are five posts available across HSLC providing successful applicants with the opportunity to support and develop the school’s Disciplined Inquiry process, following the introduction of this model of CPD this year.
Research Development Leads will assist the AHT for Teaching and Learning with the implementation of the CPD programme, facilitating and supporting elements of research-led practice across teaching staff.
If you are interested in applying for this element of the post please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.
- support and line management from an experienced Head of Department
- a highly effective centralised behaviour system which ensures consistency and rewards good behaviour – there is minimal low level disruption in classrooms meaning you can make a real difference to students
- a strong staff community and positive team culture
- one additional non-contact period per fortnight for CPD activities - CPD is research led and starts as soon as you are appointed
- one additional non-contact period per fortnight for TLR responsibilities, as well as one meeting hour with the Head of Department per fortnight to contribute to shaping English strategy
- subject specific policies focused on what is right for you as a department - we do not have bureaucratic and onerous policies
- regular feedback from learning walks and work scrutinies helping you to continuously develop - no formal graded lesson observations
- a very pleasant coastal location where you can stroll along the seafront after a day in the classroom – the English Department has been known to hold weekly meetings on the beach in summer!
You will be:
- an inspirational Teacher of English who can consistently teach excellent, engaging lessons
- a motivated and innovative practitioner with a desire to succeed and to help others do so
- someone who proactively does whatever it takes to achieve the outcomes that enable our students to make ambitious life choices
- aligned to our values and mission - if you believe in our core principles you will love being part of HSLC!
You can also get a feel for the school and English department by ‘following’ @hornseaschool and @HSLC_English on Twitter or ‘liking’ Hornsea School & Language College on Facebook.
We actively welcome visits and would be delighted to show you around the school.
To arrange a visit please contact Rachel Corkish, HR Manager, email email@example.com
Application form and further details available at www.hslc.co.uk or contact Rachel Corkish, HR Manager, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Advert No: HSLC001947.
Closing Date: 9am 23 April 2019.
Appointment is subject to an Enhanced DBS check. HSLC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.