Hopedale is an outstanding residential and day special school for pupils with social, emotional and mental health difficulties and/or autistic spectrum condition. We are based in the Staffordshire Moorlands and currently have 58 pupils on roll ranging in age from 5 to 18, with small class sizes.
We are looking to recruit a SEN Teacher to join the team. The successful candidate will be teaching pupils primarily in KS1 & KS2 with varied SEMH and learning difficulties. The role will entail planning and delivering engaging lessons. Knowledge of planning lessons at P Levels or foundation levels is essential and so the role would suit a Primary or SEN Teacher.
Our aim is to provide innovative and enjoyable education, therapy and early intervention for pupils, sometimes (and only where appropriate) enabling them to successfully return to mainstream schooling, but always helping them to become happy, positive and valuable members of society.
Hopedale School enables pupils to access a curriculum that offers a personalised education rooted in social and emotional development, rich in speech and language, enabling the very best achievement both personally and academically.
Key aspects of this role include:
- Planning & delivering engaging lessons according to pupils’ educational needs
- Using behaviour management strategies in line with Hopedale policy and procedures, which contribute to a purposeful learning environment for pupils appropriate to their age and special needs
- Maintaining discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school
- Creating and maintaining a purposeful, orderly and supportive learning environment for all pupils, particularly helping to overcome barriers to learning
- Observing, monitoring and evaluating pupil responses to learning activities through a range of assessment and monitoring strategies determined by the head teacher
- Adopting a flexible approach to meet the varied needs of the pupils in the classroom and participating in any physical activities as appropriate
- Contributing to meetings, discussions and management systems necessary to co-ordinate the work of the school as a whole
- Promoting the inclusion of all pupils, ensuring they have equal opportunities to learn and develop and seek to ensure the implementation of the school’s equal opportunities policy
- Being responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and staff within the school
We are looking for a Teacher who:
- Shows empathy and patience for children who exhibit challenging behaviour
- Has a natural ability to solve problems and manage/modify the behaviour of children
- Is organised, flexible, resilient, physically fit and un-shockable
- Displays a good, down to earth, sense of humour
Hopedale can offer you:
- Wonderful, thriving pupils
- A happy, humorous and supportive staff team
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- The National Teachers’ Pension
- A high level of support from a very experienced team of Teaching Assistants
- Initial training for aspects of the role with which you are not familiar with
- The opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of pupils and their families
- A comprehensive on-going training package
Applicants must be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and undergo an Enhanced DBS check prior to appointment.
Closing Date: 30.11.16