We are looking for a SEN Teaching Assistant to support individuals and groups of students to enable access to learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment.
At Shortlands, our Teaching Assistants play a key role in supporting children with their learning and development. They work closely with class teachers to understand the learning that the children need to achieve and are responsible for working with individual pupils or groups to enable them to make excellent progress. Specific training around phonics and maths is also offered so that TAs can lead their own groups and interventions. TAs are also expected to support teaching staff with their planning, preparation and assessment activities. As part of Harris, you will join a community of staff dedicated to transforming education in London. With regular progression opportunities and outstanding CPD for support staff, there will be a wealth of opportunities for you to grow your career, whether at Harris Primary Academy Shortlands, in one of our other 46 academies, or in our central team. Our aim is to help you achieve your ambitions more quickly.
As part of the Harris Federation, we can offer you a range of benefits, including:
- A network of fellow senior leaders and Principals with a wealth of knowledge and expertise
- Support and mentoring from some of the best executive leaders in education
- Unrivalled opportunities for leadership progression and preparing you for your first Principalship
- Pension scheme (TPS) and access to our Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan, covering a range of health and wellbeing benefits
- Plus, the opportunity to work with our amazing students!
Click here for a full list of Harris benefits.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. The person we are looking for will:
- Support children with their learning and development during lessons or free-flow activities as directed by the class teacher.
- Lead small group sessions and interventions according to teacher’s planning.
- Promote the general progress and well-being of pupils in your class/group.
- Maintain high standards of behaviour among pupils through the use of the Academy’s behaviour policy.
- Participate in administrative and organisational tasks relating to the duties above.
- Participate in Performance Management activities and also further training and professional development sessions as they arise.
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
About Harris Primary Academy Shortlands
Harris Primary Academy Shortlands is a two-form entry school which opened in September 2014 in Bromley, and now educates children from Reception to Year 4. We believe that every child is unique and that each deserves the opportunity to be happy, feel valued and experience success. The academy moved to a brand new building in September 2016 on Kingswood Road in Shortlands. We had our first Ofsted inspection in April 2017 from which we were rated outstanding. A copy of the report and more information about the school can be found on our website www.harrisprimaryshortlands.org.uk.
Why work at Harris Primary Academy Shortlands?
- A brand new building, which is a bright, modern and welcoming place for children to be;
- Every lesson at our school is creative and there is plenty of time for children to think, to play, to discover and wonder;
- Each child is taught in the way that suits them best and we step in quickly if a change is needed;
- Excellent professional development opportunities and generous benefits package through the Harris Federation - a leading group of 44 primary and secondary academies in and around London
Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Primary Academy Shortlands are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 020 3772 4598 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Principal.
The Harris Federation
Our academy is part of the Harris Federation, the leading large Multi Academy Trust in the country for both primary and secondary education. Harris has an unrivalled track record in raising standards and achieving success for the children in our academies.
Professional development and sharing best practice are a key part of the Harris Federation success, and we can draw on this to offer you top quality training at every stage of your career path, from Beginner Teacher to Middle Leader. We will invest in you with coaching, mentoring, and can offer a wide range of training programmes, delivered by our Teaching School Alliance.
We look for talented teachers who are passionate about their subject and making a difference. You can help us transform education in London, and create exceptional places of learning.
Please note: academies may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. You will still be able to add information until the closing date, but you will not be able to submit your application. With this in mind, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement. Harris Federation is fully committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.