Post title: SENCO
Grade: Main PS Salary + SEN allowance / Part-time
Responsible to: Head Teacher
Responsible for: SEN support and provision across the school
· To lead, manage, develop and maintain high quality SEN provision which enables quality teaching, excellent learning outcomes and success for all pupils.
· To model effective teaching, to coach and train colleagues and to teach, as appropriate, across the school.
· To keep all aspects of paperwork including records and policies up-to-date and actioned as appropriate.
Strategic direction and development of SEN provision in the school – with the support of and working with the Headteacher for Inclusion to:
· Contribute to a positive ethos in which all pupils have access to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum.
· Support all staff in understanding the needs of SEN pupils
· Devise and promote plans to ensure the needs of pupils with SEN are met and that they are reflected in the school improvement plan
· Regularly monitor progress against targets for pupils with SEN from teachers’ plans, evaluate the effectiveness of teaching and learning by work analysis and use these analyses to guide future improvements
· Analyse and interpret relevant school, local and national information relating to pupils with SEN and advise the head teacher on the level of resources required to maximise achievement
· Liaise with staff, parents, external agencies and other schools to co-ordinate their contribution, provide maximum support and ensure continuity of educational provision for pupils with SEN
· Develop partnerships with parents to ensure that their views are considered and acted upon appropriately
· Ensure that pupils with SEN are enabled to share their views and that these are acted upon appropriately
Teaching and learning -to:
· Support the identification of, and disseminate the most effective teaching approaches for pupils with SEN.
· Collect and interpret specialist assessment data on SEN to inform practice
· Work with pupils, class teacher and key stage managers to ensure realistic and challenging expectations of pupils with SEN
· Monitor the use of resources, teaching activities and target setting and develop and maintain a recording system for progress of pupils with SEN
Leading and managing Staff – to:
· Achieve constructive working relationships and establish opportunities for the SENCO, support assistants and other teachers to review the needs, progress and targets of pupils with SEN
· Provide regular information to Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and governors on the effectiveness of SEN provision and outcomes
· Advise and contribute to all aspects of SEN training to ensure the professional development of staff
Parents, the community and extended schools – to:
· Play a full part in the life of the school community
· Work with parents and families who have a child with SEN offering support and guidance
· Encourage parents to participate in the life of the school in a variety of ways
Managing own performance and development:
· Demonstrate resilience and resourcefulness.
· Take responsibility for own professional development.
· Participate in the school’s appraisal and professional development scheme, ensuring that objectives are set and met within the agreed time-scale.
· Think creatively and imaginatively to anticipate and solve problems and identify opportunities.
Use of Resources –to:
· Identify appropriate resources to promote and support the achievements of SEN children and ensure they are used efficiently, effectively and safely
· Oversee and monitor appropriate budget allocations in liaison with the Headteacher and School Business Manager
Additional responsibilities and general requirements – to:
· Undertake any professional duties commensurate with the grade of the post, reasonably delegated to him/her by the Headteacher
· Show commitment to the school, its inclusive ethos and equal opportunities for all in the school community, opposing strongly any form of discrimination
· Attend and participate in relevant training sharing the knowledge and ideas gained with colleagues
How to apply
· Complete attached application form and email to email@example.com
· Visits are strongly encouraged and will need to be booked through the school Office on 020 7738 6481. For an informal discussion about the role, please arrange to meet the Head teacher, Marta Correia via the contact details above.
· We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.