37.5 hours per week, 39 weeks per annum, term time only
Interviews: To take place later the same week
John Smeaton Academy is part of United Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England. Schools within United Learning work as a team and achieve more by sharing than any single school could. Our intranet site, United Hub, is just one example of how we share resources and communicate across sites, helping to simplify work processes and manage workloads for an improved work-life balance. We reward our staff: with good career opportunities, better pay, benefits, and ultimately the satisfaction of supporting schools in their quest to give every child the opportunity to succeed and reach their full potential.
About the role:
A new vacancy has arisen for the post of SEND Teaching Assistant to complement our existing team at John Smeaton Academy. This role involves working alongside some of our students with complex communication and social needs. The school is committed to inclusion and for children to access both our Resourced Provision and mainstream school.
John Smeaton Academy is looking for an exceptional candidate who can demonstrate enthusiasm, initiative and have effective communication skills. Applicants must be able to liaise successfully with teachers to meet the needs of all students with complex needs.
Main duties will include:
- Act as a Key Worker to designated students and be responsible for their plans.
- Set challenging and demanding expectations and promote self-esteem and independence of designated students.
- Implement strategies that enable students with special educational needs to meet their learning objectives and progress targets.
- To assess individual pupils and mark work.
- Support teachers in class through developing resources and learning activities that engage learners with complex needs.
- Encourage pupils to interact with others and engage in activities.
- Assist with the arrangements for students with complex needs.
- Liaise with parents, carers and external agencies to ensure that there is regular communication regarding specific students
What we would like from you;
- To be a team player.
- To be an excellent communicator and have a child centred approach.
- To have a sound knowledge of Microsoft Office packages.
- Minimum of A-C grade in GCSE English and Maths or equivalent.
- Strengths in Speech & Language, ICT, Literacy and Numeracy.
- A fundamental belief in the power of education to enable pupils to achieve anything they set their minds to.
In turn, we are looking for a candidate committed to playing a part in transforming the lives of our young people.
About the School:
- An 11-18, United Learning academy.
- 883 students inclusive of VI form.
- Our whole-school ethos of ‘the best in everyone’ underpins our core values of ambition, confidence, creativity, respect, enthusiasm and determination. Our aim is to send every student out into the world instilled with these values, as well as the right knowledge, skills and qualifications, so that they are ready to play their part in it.
Please apply online by clicking here.
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.
John Smeaton Academy is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful appointment will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.