The Senior House Master or House Mistress will live in the school with the students in their care, report to the General Director and undertake the following dutIes:
- Ensure the well-being of the students in their care, with tasks relating to hygiene and personal care, housing, meals, study and recreational activities of students.
- Ensures the safety and security of students and colleagues working in the house, including: compliance with the school’s Child Safeguarding and Anti-Bullying policies; dealing with medical emergencies in the absence of the School Nurse.
- Promotes and models the school’s Guiding Statements.
- Contributes fully to the boarding team.
- Maintains high accessibility and gets to know all members of the house, providing counselling as required.
- Elicits good behaviour and deals with discipline issues according to all school policies.
- Ensures each boarder leaves the house well-dressed and well-groomed, having tidied their bedroom each morning.
- Keeps adequate student records.
- Elaborate boarding school reports.
- Work collaboratively with and communicate directly with:
non-boarding colleagues appropriately regarding pastoral issues,
the Head of Secondary and Class Teachers to ensure the daily schedule is adhered to,
colleagues organising activities, to ensure each child is prepared to participate,
parents, to share information speciﬁc to their child through written reports as per the published schedule including a ‘Settling in’ report and attend meetings as requested by parents.
- To regularly review and update documentation relating to the boarding house.
- To ensure that key monitoring ﬁles are maintained and updated.
- To be responsible for monitoring and reviewing routines in the boarding house.
- To contribute to and ensure that the aims and objectives of the Boarding Development Plan are implemented.
- To take part in staﬀ performance management on an annual basis.
- To keep the General Director fully informed of any issues relating to students or other matters in boarding.
- To ensure the drugs & alcohol tests, equipment and dressings in the medical room are in date and re-stocked.
The Senior House Master or Mistress will work in very close contact with the academic team and will act as a liaison between the two areas of the school. The purpose of this relationship is to ensure that the boarding staﬀ are aware of any academic concerns and the Head of Secondary is notiﬁed of any areas of concern within the boarding house. It is desirable that the successful person can demonstrate experience of working closely with a range of diﬀering abilities within a Senior School. He or she will be required to support all students as they either complete their IB Middle Years Programme studies or as they prepare to undertake the IB Diploma Programme.
The Senior House Master or Mistress will undertake overnight duties according to a rota:
- Wake up during the night if necessary to care for students who may need assistance, including administering medication according to school policies and procedures.
- Secure all doors, windows and any other areas of possible exit or entrance, each evening.
- Assists the General Director to organise a programme of activities to ensure proper mental, physical, social and spiritual development, and participates in these activities.
- Contributes to the weekly blog and uploads post to the oﬃcial LGIS social network channels.
- Participates in the review of boarding policies.
- Attends meetings and school functions as appropriate, including a weekly boarding meeting.
- Supports the General Director by undertaking any other reasonable tasks assigned.
- Desirable experience and qualiﬁcations:
- Bachelors Degree, or equivalent.
- BSA Certiﬁcate.
- Experienced, kind and with a natural empathy for working with young people in a residential environment;
- Ability to lead and manage a team;
- A willingness to engage in further professional development;
- An interest in sport, music, art or drama;
- A recent First aid qualiﬁcation [desirable];
- Counselling or Psychology qualiﬁcation [desirable];
- Detailed understanding of Health & Safety issues and Child Safeguarding;
- Committed to the school ethos and to boarding education;
- A good role model;
- Innovative, ﬂexible, calm and eﬃcient under pressure;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Good communication skills including excellent use of ICT;
- Good organisational and administrative skills;
- Ability to apply conﬂict resolution skills with students;
- Willing to work hard with enthusiasm;
- Reliable and able to work without supervision.
Overview of Employee Beneﬁts:
- The opportunity to live and work in a beautiful area with great connections to the rest of Europe;
- A safe and secure environment in which to work;
- The numerous outdoor activities that are on oﬀer (particularly as Villars is a renowned ski resort);
- An opportunity to learn or improve your French;
- The opportunity to work in a school with an excellent reputation;
- The chance to be part of a growing school with opportunities for career advancement;
- Attractive working conditions;
- Professional development opportunities;
- The possibility to travel internationally with the students on trips and visits;
- Free tuition for staff children, depending on availability.
How to Apply
We welcome any applicant who has a real passion for education; who is ready to offer individual attention, participate in the life of the whole school and who will uphold our Guiding Principles. Please send:
- A COMPLETED CURRICULUM VITAE
- A LETTER OF APPLICATION (handwritten if possible)
- A COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT INFORMATION PAGE AND/OR SWISS WORK PERMIT
- THE NAMES AND CONTACT DETAILS OF THREE REFEREES, ONE OF WHICH MUST BE YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER.
Human Resources (email@example.com)
Chemin des Chavasses 23
La Garenne International School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 4 - 18 years