An exciting full-time, permanent position has arisen in our HR Department for a Senior HR Administrator. In this role you will work within a small generalist HR team who look after our teaching and sport staff, as well as some of our support staff within the school. You will be responsible for co-ordinating the day to day work of the HR Administrators in the team to provide full administrative support throughout the employee lifecycle. This can range from carrying out recruitment checks, entering new joiners onto the HR system, processing changes, to processing leaver paperwork.
Due to the needs of the school and the department, we may interview suitable candidates before the closing date. This job may also close early if a large number of applications are received. You are advised to submit your application as early as possible to avoid missing your chance to apply.
- Providing guidance and training to the HR Administrators ensuring that the team provides high quality administrative support and to be their first point of contact for any administrative queries;
- Carrying out recruitment checks for successful candidates and logging these on our Single Central Register – there are 14 separate checks that need to be undertaken before an individual is able to join the College. These checks need to be carried out in line with the school’s expectations and in a timely fashion to ensure that the individual is safe to work in a school before they start with us;
- Inputting new joiners onto our HR Information System and checking the input of the HR Administrators, and liaising with payroll, IT, Security and other internal stakeholders to ensure everything is set up in time for the new joiner’s arrival;
- Generating offer letters and contracts and helping to on-board employees once they join;
- Processing changes on our HR Information System and preparing letters to send to individuals – for example salary changes, promotions etc.;
- Supporting the processes of annual salary review – including helping to mail merge and envelope letters;
- Answering queries and directing people to information / the best people to speak to as appropriate;
- Processing leavers – including logging information on the HR Information System, preparing letters and liaising with security, IT and payroll as appropriate;
- Supporting HR projects and undertaking own projects/tasks where relevant;
- Continually looking for ways to improve and standardise what we do, recommending areas of opportunity and proposing solutions – from letters, policies and processes to evolving our staff structures;
- Supporting the team with other tasks as necessary to facilitate to smooth running of the department;
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity & inclusion;
- All positions at Eton are classed as ‘regulated activity’ as per the Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021 guidance, therefore a good understanding of safeguarding procedures is essential;
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood;
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Previous experience working in a busy administrative position and juggling competing priorities;
- Previous experience of working in an HR team;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel;
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal;
- Good numeracy skills;
- A basic knowledge of UK employment law (including immigration and right to work requirements);
- Previous experience of working with an HR Information System would be highly advantageous;
- Previous line management or mentoring experience would be desirable.
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme (where applicable), free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discount at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including reference checks with past employers, an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service and, where applicable, a Barred List, Prohibition and EEA checks. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.
Eton has been educating for the future for nearly 600 years.
Our academic success derives from a longstanding commitment to learning and independent thought and pupils benefit from the intellectual quality and inspiring teaching of Masters who are pa...