We are looking for a Casual Site Assistant to ensure the provision of a safe, clean, attractive learning environment, as part of a team undertaking responsibility for the maintenance, security, health and safety of the Harris Academy Riverside site (including grounds, buildings, facilities and equipment), ensuring that they operate efficiently and effectively.
Harris Academy Riverside is a very popular non-selective and highly oversubscribed academy which opened as part of the Harris Federation and the regeneration of the Purfleet on Thames area in 2017. We serve our local community of Purfleet on Thames and West Thurrock and have 900 on roll in the secondary academy and around 200 students in the 6th form.
Harris Academy Riverside seeks to develop students who are successful, confident and happy, who inspire their community and who act with kindness and compassion towards others.
In our procedures and daily routines, our broad and varied curriculum, our pedagogical model and through our commitment to providing experience of the wider world we aim to promote a strong sense of community and belonging, to provide a blend of high challenge and high support and to encourage the development of
- Outstanding habits of behaviour such as self-awareness, kindness, appreciation, humility, politeness, confident self-expression and self-presentation and
- Outstanding habits of learning such as determination, resilience, organisation, reading, studying and practice
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To have ‘Key holding’ responsibilities during Lettings
- To ensure activities of each event are compliant with the Lettings policy
- To maintain security of the site during and after events. This includes managing all security and alarm systems
- To act as a fire warden in case of an emergency
- If appropriate, to make available School equipment to hirers and to inspect these at the end of each letting
- To inspect the area and any equipment following an event and liaise with the hirer regarding any issues
- To prepare the area for the letting as well as reinstate the area for School activities following the letting
- To be fully engaged in ensuring the academy health and safety and other related policies are fully adhered to
- To report any poor or dangerous behaviour by students
- To report any potentially hazardous actions by staff immediately
- To liaise with and support external contractors on site, ensuring supervision at all times
- Assist in maintaining the academy grounds
- Assist site maintenance in the removal of furniture e.g. for exams and academy events
- To lock/secure both side and back gates as required
- Report to the Premises Manager, any lights that need replacing, graffiti or any broken fixtures and fittings
- Being vigilant for any health and safety hazards, mitigating risk immediately and appropriately and reporting this to the Premises Manager as soon as is possible
- To be responsible for ensuring that any “accidents”, sickness or spillages are promptly cleaned, disinfected and made safe
- To complete any tasks as reasonably requested by the Academy
Qualifications & Experience
- Basic knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and requirements
- Good communication skills
- Excellent telephone manner
- Ability to work evenings and weekends on a casual basis
- Ability to deal with emergencies occurring outside normal working hours
- Ability to work as part of a team
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris Academy Riverside is a brand new secondary school opening in September 2017. The Academy will offer education with drive and ambition, and a culture where all students are treated as individuals.
Our first 120 children will be uniquely advanta...