Contract: Full Time, All Year Round – 2 Years Fixed Term Contract Initially
We have an exciting opportunity for a Strategic SEND/Safeguarding Lead to join our South West Hub working to the Hub Director and supporting three schools within the region to ensure there is excellent practice and intervention for SEND and understanding of safeguarding.
This is a brand new post which the successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape and develop. You will ensure that every learner thrives as you set the very highest safeguarding standards, developing safeguarding and SEND strategies which secure the best conditions for academic achievement.
You will have in-depth knowledge of relevant legislation, policy and good practice in respect of safeguarding children and young people in education. At the same time, you will support, advise and oversee complex SEND cases which involve our most vulnerable learners.
You will need to be an experienced and inspirational leader with an in depth knowledge and understanding of safeguarding and SEND provision. Equally importantly, you will be passionate about best practice – and determined to make a difference every day.
The Successful candidate will demonstrate:
- They have demonstrable experience of working strategically to address safeguarding issues in schools or academies
- They have experience of shaping, developing and implementing safeguarding and SEND strategies, policies and practices within schools and academies
- They are a strategic thinker and possess excellent leadership qualities
- They have experience of training and coaching others in the leadership and management of safeguarding, SEND and student wellbeing.
- They can demonstrate an understanding, compassion and empathy to young people and their families/carers with the ability to solve problems of a complex nature; show innovation; tenacity and display sensitive interpersonal skills.
- Due to the nature of this role, it will be necessary for the appropriate level of criminal record disclosure to be undertaken. In making your application, it is essential you disclose whether you have any pending charges, convictions, bind-overs or cautions and, if so, for which offences. This post will be exempt from the provisions of Section 4 (2) of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Therefore, applicants are not entitled to withhold information about convictions which for other purposes are ‘spent’ under the provision of the Act, and, in the event of the employment being taken up; any failure to disclose such convictions will result in dismissal or disciplinary action. The fact that a pending charge, conviction, bind-over or caution has been recorded against you will not necessarily debar you from consideration for this appointment.
- Avanti Schools Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and requires all staff, governors and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are required to have an Enhanced DBS check unless internally appointed and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will also be completed.
- We want to make sure we are attracting the widest possible range of people to Avanti Schools Trust and ensure that they are accepted, understood and treated equally when they work here. This means we will work hard to understand that each employee is unique and ensuring that individuals or groups are not treated differently or less favourably on the basis of specific characteristics.
- Such characteristics include (but are not limited to) age, disability, gender including transgender, race, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, and how the school supports pregnant women and new parents.
- Any appointment subsequently made will be subject to the receipt of satisfactory references and other pre-employment checks.
Closing Date: Midday – 18th October 2019
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 23rd October 2019 in Bristol
Application should be by submission of a completed application form or a comprehensive CV and a covering statement of no more than 2 sides of A4 setting out how you meet the essential criteria of the role. This should be submitted by the closing date above to firstname.lastname@example.org The successful candidate will be required to sign the application declaration and GDPR declaration on appointment.
For an informal discussion or more information about the role, please contact Joanne Hatfield – HR Director on 07956 892439 or email email@example.com