We are looking for an excellent Spanish teacher who is passionate about their subject, ready to join a vibrant department, and keen to develop their practice in a dynamic and innovative teaching environment. School 21 is an all-through school and your role will provide you with the opportunity to teach across the full spectrum of age groups, from Reception through to our new sixth form, Six 21. Ideally, the successful candidate will also be an experienced A-level Spanish teacher.
School 21 is a very special and different kind of place to work in. We empower staff to find their voice and their creativity. We offer collaboration and learning across ages and subjects. All staff have more planning time than most schools and a tailored programme of professional development which results in extraordinary outcomes for the students. We offer multiple routes to progression through subjects and pedagogies. We believe strongly in developing the full potential of all staff.
In the last two years Spanish and oracy teachers have combined to develop a ground breaking Human Rights project where students used sophisticated Spanish to campaign for the rights of the Latin American community in Newham, and also protested outside the Manga store in Oxford Street about the treatment of workers in Bangladesh.
In the coming years we want to develop more rich projects and also develop more residentials and partnerships in Spain following the success of the year 11 trip to Barcelona this year.
We believe the teaching of Spanish should be immersive: with students learning by seeing, speaking, doing and acting. Our Spanish department are expert practitioners in the use of teaching techniques that borrow from the expressive arts, using story-telling, songs, performance, and discussion as powerful learning tools.
You will be trained in and develop a range of pedagogies including oracy-rich learning, project based learning, coaching, advanced literacy techniques and using technology effectively in the classroom. English Language is central to the life of School 21, and all teachers are expected to develop reading, writing and speaking skills within their subject. All teachers will also be expected to be a coach to about 13 students, developing their professionalism well-being and confidence. In order to do this effectively, you will be trained as a one to one coach. Our oracy curriculum, teacher toolkit and our collaboration with Cambridge University has resulted in a school filled with purposeful talk and thinking. You will have the chance to shape this exciting area of the school’s culture, along with the ethos and core practices of our two new institutions, the sixth form and the middle school.
School 21 has built strong foundations in a short period of time, confirmed by our Ofsted which was outstanding in all categories. There was strong recognition for the ethos and approach of the school:
"Pupils across the school make exceptional progress."
"Pupils have excellent attitudes to learning, impeccable manners and show respect for everyone.”
“Staff morale is exceptionally high. Teachers at the early stages of their career value the ‘fantastic’ professional development and opportunities to learn from each other. Those with more experience said that they have become much better teachers since joining the school.”
Through project-based learning "pupils achieve remarkable standards of work and demonstrated knowledge and skills at levels beyond those expected for their age group."
“Pupils talk and discuss with a maturity and confidence that is remarkable for their years."
The successful candidate will be:
- An excellent teacher and subject specialist
- Skilled at fostering independent, student-led learning
- A creative and deep thinker about pedagogy
- Innovative in using new technology to enhance learning
- A collaborative planner, able to work across subject disciplines
- Interested in developing the growth of every child – head, heart and hand
ABOUT SCHOOL 21:
- 4 to 18 mixed, inclusive school in the heart of Stratford, Newham
- Cutting edge pedagogy and curriculum
- Small - only 75 children in each year group
- We have plans to set up two new schools in close proximity to School 21 which will give staff more opportunities to grow and develop
- Outstanding career development and exceptional CPD
- Generous TLRs based on experience and skills
- The chance to network with outstanding practitioners and learn from the best
- Collaborative working across the 4 to 18 school
- Leadership training and development opportunities
- A strong feedback culture so that teachers can develop in areas of their practice that are important to them
- Every teacher being part of a team/circle that develops strategic practice
For more information see: www.school21.org.uk or e-mail Anne Shaker at email@example.com or call 020 8262 2121
Please visit the careers pages at www.school21.org.uk and complete an online application form.
Apply by: Tuesday, 8th May 2018 at 9am
Likely interview date: Week commencing 14th May 2018
School 21 is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding children.