We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic STEM Technician, based within the Engineering and Science Department, to this exceptional University Technical College (UTC). The roles are part of the planned expansion of the teaching staff at the UTC as we grow from our current 185 Students 2017 to 245 in September 2019.
The UTC opened in January 2015 in a new purpose built building, which replicates a business environment with state-of–the-art facilities.
All students at UTC Heathrow specialise in either Engineering or Computer Science; at 14 they will also study a broad and balanced curriculum and at Post 16 the curriculum becomes more specialist with A levels in Mathematics, Physics, Computing, Further Mathematics, Product Design being studied alongside their specialist BTEC Level 3 course in Engineering or Computing with a handful of globally recognised qualifications to prepare them for the workplace. At capacity, we will be educating 500 students who will all have a passion for Engineering or Computer Science; it is a truly inspirational environment.
This role will provide you with:
• unparalleled professional development including access to a full suite of professional qualifications including MOS, MTA and AutoDesk
• focussed teaching - only teaching KS4 and KS5 classes
• small class sizes
• passionate students
• opportunities for career development as the UTC grows
• An opportunity to be at the forefront of STEM education
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The following key tasks and responsibilities summarise the main aspects of the job. They will be reviewed periodically and amended by agreement to ensure the effective operation of the UTC and to foster development of the individual.
• Ensure the efficient running of the Engineering and technical services in the Engineering Department, including lesson preparation, storage, maintenance, repair, stocktaking and the cleaning of equipment.
• Ensure the efficient running of the laboratories and technical services in the Science Department, including lesson preparation, storage, maintenance, repair, stocktaking and the cleaning of equipment, benches and sinks.
• Maintain the supply of class equipment, the return to store after use and repair, when required.
• Complete safe storage of dangerous or restricted chemicals and radioactive sources, the storage and disposal of potentially hazardous microorganisms; trialling practical.
• Advise teaching staff in technical and safety matters; to work closely with newly qualified teachers to ensure that they are familiar with relevant equipment and materials.
• Provide administrative support to teaching staff, including duplicating, resource production and H&S.
• Be familiar with the latest safety regulations and changes in Engineering and Science and engage in CPD.
The science department currently offers GCSE and A Level provision in Physics. From September 2020, the department will also deliver A’ level Chemistry. The Engineering Department offer GCSEs in Design Technology, Engineering and L2 EAL Engineering, as well as, L3 provision in BTEC Engineering.
The Science and Engineering Department’s consists of five science laboratories and a dedicated Engineering floor. The Engineering and Science team is a diverse and friendly community that prides itself in strong practical work, an excellent safety record and an ongoing commitment to the promotion of STEM education.
If you believe that this is an environment where you can thrive, develop and substantially contribute to an exciting future for UTC Reading then you are encouraged to explore further by contacting the Principal, Wayne Edwards, via Catherine Brennan, Group HR Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org for a more detailed discussion, if required.
Interview dates will be confirmed with shortlisted Candidates.
We are an equal opportunities employer and are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.