Contract term: Maternity Cover (October 25th 2019 – 27th July 2020)
UTC Reading Background
We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic STEM Technician (Maternity Cover), based within the Science Department, to this Outstanding and World Class University Technical College (UTC).
The UTC opened in September 2013 in a newly refurbished building, which replicates a business environment with state-of–the-art facilities and was judged by Ofsted as Outstanding in every category in May 2015 in only its second year of operation. In December 2017, the UTC was awarded the World Class Schools Quality Mark. This is not only a relatively new school but a new approach to educating 14-19 year olds; which is possibly the most exciting change in the education landscape in decades.
All students at UTC Reading specialise in either Engineering or Computer Science; at 14 they will also study a broad and balanced curriculum and at Post 16 the curriculum becomes more specialist with A levels in Physics, Computing, Further Computing, Computer Science, Product Design, Business, Biology and Chemistry being studied alongside their specialist BTEC Level 3 course in Engineering or Computing with a handful of globally recognised qualifications to prepare them for the workplace. At capacity we will be educating 560 students who will all have a passion for Engineering or Computer Science; it is a truly inspirational environment.
This role will provide you with:
• unparalleled professional development including access to a full suite of professional qualifications including MOS, MTA and AutoDesk
• focussed teaching - only teaching KS4 and KS5 classes
• small class sizes
• passionate students
• opportunities for career development as the UTC grows
• An opportunity to be at the forefront of STEM education
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The following key tasks and responsibilities summarise the main aspects of the job. They will be reviewed periodically and amended by agreement to ensure the effective operation of the UTC and to foster development of the individual.
• Ensure the efficient running of the laboratories and technical services in the Science Department, including lesson preparation, storage, maintenance, repair, stocktaking and the cleaning of equipment, benches and sinks.
• Maintain the supply of class equipment, its return to store after use and its repair, when required.
• Complete safe storage of dangerous or restricted chemicals and radioactive sources, the storage and disposal of potentially hazardous microorganisms; trialling practical.
• Advise teaching staff in technical and safety matters; to work closely with newly qualified teachers to ensure that they are familiar with relevant equipment and materials.
• Provide administrative support to teaching staff, including duplicating, resource production and H&S.
• Be familiar with the latest safety regulations and changes in Science and engage in CPD
The science department currently offers GCSE and A Level provision in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and BTEC Extended Certificate in Applied Science.
The department consists of four science laboratories and three science theory rooms. The science team is a diverse and friendly community that prides itself in strong practical work, an excellent safety record and an ongoing commitment to promotion of STEM education
If you believe that this is an environment where you can thrive, develop and substantially contribute to an exciting future for UTC Reading then you are encouraged to explore further by contacting the Principal, Jonathan Nicholls, via firstname.lastname@example.org for a more detailed discussion, if required.
Completed application forms and an accompanying supporting letter should be emailed no later than midday on Friday 27th September 2019 to email@example.com.
Interview dates will be confirmed with shortlisted Candidates.
We are an equal opportunities employer and are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.