Job Description: Subject Leader - Media
Reports to: Assistant Principal Communications
Start date: September 2018
Location: Southwark, London
Salary: Ark Main Pay Scale + TLR2B
This is a fantastic opportunity for an inspiring Leader to develop their career with the support of the Assistant Principal at Ark Globe Academy.
· To manage the professional community of subject teachers to ensure high attainment in Media across the Academy.
· To develop and lead an exciting curriculum which enables the highest level of pupil progress and attainment.
· Subject coordination across the Academy
· Lead the professional community of subject teachers in the Academy
· Quality teaching and learning of their subject across the Academy
· Curriculum setting and assessment across the Academy as agreed with the Assistant Principal and other relevant SLT.
Outcomes and Activities
· Subject Coordination across the Academy
· Leadership and support of all subject teachers within the Academy
· To ensure that systems are in place that enable all lessons in their subject area are good or better.
· Leadership of the Subject Community
· Assisting in the professional development of teachers including inset training as may be appropriate
· Supervising and supporting beginner teachers and Newly Qualified Teachers (NQT’s) as appropriate
Teaching and Learning
· Work with the Assistant Principal to establish a subject development plan, target setting and review
· Teach outstanding lessons that motivate, inspire and improve pupil attainment
· Manage departmental budget and resources effectively and efficiently
· Direct and supervise support staff assigned to lessons and when required participate in related recruitment and selection activities
Curriculum Setting and Assessment
· Develop high quality syllabuses and schemes of learning for all year groups, in line with National Curriculum requirements, that are inspiring for learners and teachers alike
· Work with the Assistant Principal to monitor and assess teaching and learning within the subject
· Set regular, measurable and significant assessments for the students
· Establish agreement for monitoring and evaluation of student progress
· Maintain accurate pupil data that can be used to make teaching more effective
· Support the Academy’s values and ethos by contributing to the development and implementation of policies practices and procedures
· Help create a strong Academy community, characterised by consistent, orderly behaviour and caring, respectful relationships
· Help develop an Academy culture and ethos that is utterly committed to achievement
· Undertake, and when required, deliver or be part of the appraisal system and relevant training and professional development
· Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal.
Person Specification: Subject Leader - Media
· Qualified to degree level and above
· Qualified to teach and work in the UK
· Evidence of professional development.
· Experience of raising attainment in a challenging classroom environment
· Experience of contributing to a high achieving department within a large and complex school environment
· Experience of delivering consistently outstanding lessons to students of all ages and abilities
· Experience of implementing behaviour management strategies consistently and effectively
· Experience of supporting students of all ages and abilities to make excellent progress and achieve impressive examination outcomes
· Experience of leading successful enrichment and extracurricular activities which inspire and motivate learners.
· Effective team worker and leader
· Ability to coach and manage staff
· Demonstrates resilience, motivation and commitment to driving up standards of achievement.
· Acts as a role model to staff and students
Leading the Curriculum
· Able to establish curriculum development, assessment, coordination and coaching
· Has good communication, planning and organisational skills
· High expectations for accountability and consistency
· Ability to design, implement and evaluate effective, imaginative and stimulating Schemes of learning.
Leading the Learning
· Outstanding classroom practitioner who acts as a professional role model
· Effective and systematic behaviour management, with clear boundaries, sanctions, rewards and praise
· Demonstrates the ability to develop others’ practice to ensure that teaching is at least good in the subject area.
Teaching and Learning
· Outstanding classroom teacher with the ability to reflect on lessons and continually improve their own practice
· Effective and systematic behaviour management, with clear boundaries, sanctions, praise and rewards
· Thinks strategically about classroom practice and tailoring lessons to students needs
· Understands and interprets complex student data to drive lesson planning and student attainment