The Sixth Form College Farnborough is now part of a multi-academy trust, The Prospect Trust. This exciting change heralds the start of a new era which will, in time, see The Prospect Trust become an educational hub for the community, contributing significantly to raising standards and improving the life chances of young people.
The College will, as one of the region’s most distinguished providers of 16-19 education, be at the heart of this undertaking sharing expertise, skill and leadership.
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and well-qualified graduate able to teach Mathematics in a consistently successful curriculum area.
Key strengths are:
- Achievement of high grades with excellent value added;
- Outstanding teaching by a team of experienced and motivated staff;
- Exceptional levels of support for students both inside and outside of lessons;
- Innovative use of IT to promote learning embedded as a regular part of normal teaching.
The Curriculum Area of Mathematics
The department currently offers A Levels in Mathematics and Further Mathematics, AS Level Further Mathematics and we also provide a GCSE Mathematics re-sit programme. There are currently over 1,200 students studying on mathematical courses, including 200 Further Mathematics students across the two years. As one of the largest mathematical cohorts in the country, the department has led developments across the sixth form sector. In 2015 the department was shortlisted for the TES “Mathematics Team of the Year”, and in 2016 one of the department was shortlisted for FE Teacher of the Year.
The Post of Mathematics tutor
- We are looking for a teacher who displays the following characteristics:
- A thoughtful and self-reflective approach to pedagogy;
- A desire to be an outstanding classroom practitioner;
- A passion for the subject;
- Excellent subject knowledge and a desire to build on this;
- Enthusiasm for working with 16-19 year old students.
You will be required to teach on the A Level Mathematics course following the Edexcel linear specification as part of a team of specialists. You should be capable of delivering the subject to a range of student abilities. The flexibility to teach GCSE Mathematics or Further Mathematics would be an advantage however not essential.
In addition we are looking for a candidate who recognises the critical importance of developing our students’ literacy and numeracy skills and will implement this as an integral part of their teaching.
You will be part of a team where resources and ideas are freely shared for the greater good of the department. You are expected to be flexible, not afraid to meet challenges, and innovative in their approach to curriculum delivery.
How do we support you?
- As a new member of staff you will receive plenty of support from your colleagues both from the department and from the wider college community. This will include:
- A mentor to help you through the first year (in particular);
- Support from your curriculum manager and Director of Faculty;
- An extensive programme for all new staff to help induct you into College life as well as to develop your approach to teaching.
If you are new to post-16 teaching we can organise a timetable to suit your current skills and develop your teaching; for example teaching GCSE and first year Mathematics in your first year before progressing to second year.
For graduates we will organise and fund a teaching qualification – usually a PGCE – a saving for most graduates of at least £9,000. In addition we offer Qualified Teacher Status (i.e. completion of the statutory induction period) through Hampshire Local Authority and in partnership with one of our local schools.
We regard our staff as our most important resource and will do our utmost to support you throughout your time at the College.
Why should you join us?
We continue to be an outstanding provider of post-16 education and in 2018 the results gained by our students placed the College in the top 25% of A Level providers nationally. The value added score that we achieved for A Level was among the best in the Country - In the context of a Pass Rate of 99.2% and the highest number of A Level entries of any college nationally, this remains a phenomenal achievement of which we are incredibly proud.
If you are motivated by a challenge and feel you could support us to achieve even greater results in 2020, this is the right College for you. It is a truly great place to work and you can find out more by watching the ‘Working at The Sixth Form College Farnborough’ video on our website.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified applicants, however all disabled applicants who meet our minimum criteria will be invited for interview.
Please complete the attached application form, employment declaration and equality monitoring form and email all completed applications to email@example.com by 9:00am on Monday 20 May 2019.
The College has an uncompromising commitment to the safeguarding of our students.