To work in partnership with the Principal, Executive, teachers and administrative staff to actively support the Christian vision, ethos and policies of the school.
Assist the School to improve the educational outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
Part-time 27.5 hours per week. 9am to 3pm. 40 to 42 weeks per year during School terms.
• Assist in the educational and social development of Indigenous Australian Students under the direction and guidance of teachers
• Administrative functions such as record keeping, reporting writing and maintaining files and information on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
• Contributing to site learning plans and individual learning plans to improve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student social development, wellbeing and learning.
• Helping teaching staff develop and maintain relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, parents and families
• Assist in the implementation of culturally appropriate resources and educational programmes for students and help monitor their progress.
• Assist the School with communication and information on the progress and achievements of Indigenous students to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
• Providing advice on the cultural diversity of Indigenous Australian groups.
• Maintain Personalised Learning Plans (PLPs) for Indigenous Australian Students.
Skills required for this position
• Have an understanding of current trends and knowledge in Aboriginal Education, and related teaching practices and pedagogies
• Have an understanding of Aboriginal cultures and Aboriginal communities within New South Wales.
• Capacity to innovate, problem solve and develop creative solutions to emerging issues with a focus on improving Aboriginal student outcomes.
• An ability to work in a fast paced environment
• An ability to be flexible regarding timetable changes and duties
• A willingness to work cooperatively with other staff in shared workspaces
• The ability to problem-solve
Standards and Quality Assurance
• Set a good example in terms of professional dress, punctuality and attendance.
• Oversee policies and rules governing students.
• Attend staff meetings when required.
• Undertake professional duties that may be reasonably assigned by the Principal
• Be proactive in matters relating to health and safety.
• Instruct and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and materials, in order to prevent injuries and damage.
1. Demonstrated experience in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, their families and community, to support their learning environment.
2. Demonstrated ability to identify options and providing relevant information for supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
3. Demonstrated ability in providing guidance about local customs, history, cultural protocols and practices and assisting with the development of teaching programs.
4. Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
5. To assist and support the school principal and executive team with the development of a
harmonious school environment that is culturally inclusive and works to actively engage and empower students and their families.
6. Committed Christian able to subscribe to Nambucca Valley Christian Community School’s statement of faith. Available on our website.
7. Have the ability to support the literacy and numeracy needs of students.
8. Willingness to work in classrooms under the guidance of the classroom teacher, to support students with their learning
9. Experience in supporting cultural programs.
10. Willingness to mentor Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
11. Willingness to work positively as part of a team, be flexible and able to adapt to a variety working conditions.
12. Ability to interact positively with students.
13. Exceptional communication skills, culturally competent and sensitive to the needs of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and families.
Applicants will be required to undergo NSW Working with Children check, identification verification & referee checks.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Remuneration will be negotiated and will be in accord with the current CSA rates taking into consideration the qualifications and experience of the applicant.
To apply for this position:
• Address the essential and desirable criteria in a letter of application.
• Provide copies of qualifications and accreditation.
• Provide two references preferably employment related.
• Provide a reference from your current Pastor/Minister.
Confidential applications may be addressed to the Principal, Mr Jeff Allen. Please submit an application by email email@example.com
Applications close Friday 2nd August 2019, with interviews to be held on 9th August 2019.
Please note only applications that provide all the information in the above "To apply for this position" will be contacted.