Teacher Aide – Primary School Educational Support
Primary School Teacher Aide - International Independent School
Permanent full-time or part-time position from January 2022
The German International School Sydney (GISS) is currently seeking expressions of interest for a Teacher Aide - Primary School Educational Support to join our team in January 2022. This role includes a high variety of tasks including assisting teachers in the classroom and other educational activities, providing assistance to students, general support roles, administrative support, and providing small group or one-to-one tutoring.
The GISS is a small international school offering a bilingual education programme (German and English) from Preschool to the bilingual IB-Diploma. It is registered by NESA and accredited by the Federal Republic of Germany as a German School Abroad.
The school is a highly reputable co-educational school that has a rich history of quality education and aims to provide an enjoyable workplace for its staff. GISS has been awarded “Excellent German School Abroad”; and its Preschool has recently achieved the rating “Exceeding National Quality Standards” in all 7 quality areas.
Candidates looking for either part-time or full-time roles are encouraged to apply.
Successful applicants are required to:
• have the ability to work collaboratively as part of the Learning Diversity Team
• be willing to work with and support teaching staff
• be willing to carry out administrative and other duties, as required
• follow directions from and report to the Head of the Primary School
• maintain confidentiality with private and sensitive student/parent information
• have the right to work in Australia
• be bilingual (German and English)
• have a valid WWCC clearance
• provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination status according to the PHO
Duties and responsibilities:
• Support student development in the areas of wellbeing, agency and learning.
• Understand and implement the school’s Behaviour Guidance Approach, where rewards and punishments are replaced by a positive and empathetic guidance of student behaviour towards our school’s educational and pedagogical principals
• Take part in ongoing professional development in the area of learning support, diverse learning needs and whole school staff development
• Provide learning and wellbeing support for students with diverse learning needs
• Provide constructive, positive and caring support to both the children and the teacher.
• Supply relevant anecdotal/verbal and written observations about academic achievement and behaviour for informed decision making.
• provide classroom support and liaise with teachers and students
• general administration and resource management when necessary
• assist to conduct excursions and supervision of students
• Take an active interest in the general life of the school and promote a high quality of education within the school.
• Ensure all students and parents are provided with a quality service
• Act as a member of a team, developing and supporting the philosophy and ethos of the school.
Key descriptors and skills:
• highly developed organisational abilities
• strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
• strong attention to detail and excellent presentation skills
• ability to tailor learning resources or lesson instructions to the appropriate ability and interest level to ensure relatability and student engagement
• an ability to ensure their own and co-workers’ safety by adopting safe working practices and compliance with WH&S policies and procedures.
• the ability to prioritise tasks and work quickly and accurately
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneNote and Outlook
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please submit your application to the Principal Dr Lorenz Metzger (Jobs1989@giss.nsw.edu.au).
Applications in ONE PDF document should contain:
• a cover letter stating the reasons why you are applying for this position
• a current CV that clearly details experience, particularly in relation to the above skills and abilities
• any additional information you may wish to submit; and
• the names and contact details of two professional referees.
Applications close 10th December 2021, but we may make an appointment prior to the deadline, for the right candidate.