The Qatar Foundation’s Qatar Academy for Science and Technology (QAST) is a new, STEM-focused high school (Grades 9-12; UK Year 10 to 13) and is seeking a highly motivated, creative and skilled Mathematics teacher to lead the development of an innovative Mathematics program. The school will start with an enrollment of 40 top Grade 9 (UK Year 10) STEM students selected from applicants living in Qatar. Each year the school will grow a new grade level and will have a full enrollment of 240 students by the sixth year.
The school will select among the very best STEM students in Qatar and the program will focus on developing knowledgeable, skilled and innovative learners, thinkers, developers and leaders.
The first two years of the program will develop each student’s knowledge base in core content areas, technology, communication and collaborative problem solving. Students will take a comprehensive set of classes that also include an engineering course where coding and practical application of their skills are used to resolve real-world challenges using both traditional and modern prototyping tools.
The school will apply for candidature for the International Baccalaureate Careers Programme (IBCP). It is envisaged that the program for students in their third and fourth years will begin their International Baccalaureate Careers Programme studies (subject to accreditation) supported by Project Lead the Way content (PLTW) to extend their core knowledge and build on their ability to solve problems. Students will also move through an internship rotation whereby they learn more about university research and industry operations, and during this time students will pursue areas of research that are interesting to them. During their final year, they will conduct longer internships in their area of interest that will result in a substantial research project. The research project will round out their portfolio of learning, skills and innovative applications in their efforts to address some of Qatar’s Grand Challenges, (https://www.qf-arc.org/en-us/Grand-Challenges).
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study.
• Professional teaching qualification, license and/or certification.
• Minimum 6 years of teaching or educational administration experience; international education experience preferred.
• Experience developing and implementing STEM programs.
• Experience with the management of Health and Safety in a Maker Space environment.
• Knowledge of an internationally recognized Health and Safety framework e.g. COSHE; COSHH; RoSPA etc.
• Excellent time and project management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English is essential, and in Arabic would be an advantage.
• Proficiency in MS Office applications, at minimum.
• Master’s degree or equivalent in any relevant discipline.
• Ability to establish positive relationships with people from various cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and navigate a wide range of cultural norms.
• Enthusiasm, empathy, patience and resilience.
• Dedication and flexibility, including towards working hours and travel.
To design, lead and manage the Qatar Foundation STEM School’s Mathematics classes:
• Liaise effectively with the STEM Director, Principal and Teachers.
• Support, implement and help manage the design and procurement of materials for the STEM School Mathematics and Science program for years 1 and 2.
• Have experience using some of the following curricula and programs: Common Core, AERO, NGSS and International Baccalaureate Career Programs.
• Have experience with a wide range of student assessment practices and be able to implement mastery-based rubrics for a range of student’s skills and abilities.
• Have experience with and the ability to conduct a student assessment program such as MAPs, SBAC, MidYIS, Alice; CEM IBE etc.
• Establish and maintain effective relations with regional schools, educational and governmental organizations, and community groups in order to strengthen partnerships and grow the curricular and educational support at the STEM School and specifically for the Mathematics and Science Programs.
• Support and provide guidance to the annual i-STEM conference, leadership conference and activities to support community and service projects, and other events.
• Facilitate partnerships with government and corporate bodies to obtain resources and to build knowledge partnerships.
• Support teacher training for teachers in the QF schools' STEM programs related to innovative Mathematics programs.
• Communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and participants: students and teachers from within and without Qatar; regional directors and school leadership; QF leadership, board of governors and management; corporate and other institutional partners.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are required to complete in full the application form and submit it as a single pdf file attachment to:
Dr. Gregory J. Moncada
Qatar Foundation Schools
and copy to:
Ms. Gina D’Souza
PA to the Executive Director
Qatar Foundation Schools
Open until filled.
Qatar Foundation Schools reserves the right to appoint a candidate before the application deadline should this prove desirable.
Successful appointment will be subject to satisfactory references and verification of qualifications. The Office of Pre-University Education is committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening including checks with previous employers and national/international disclosure service as appropriate.