Contract Term: We offer a permanent contract after a one-year probationary period. For candidates who can offer an immediate start we would consider a temporary contract of less than one year, if the candidate so wished.
Closing Date: 1st September (early applications are particularly welcome and will be processed upon receipt)
What we seek:
Due to an unexpected resignation over the summer holiday, the English College in Prague seeks a committed and creative teacher to join its thriving Science Faculty. We are looking for a candidate who can enthuse students, many of whom are academically excellent, and deliver lessons that are both exciting and rigorous.
Ideally, the candidate will have experience of teaching Biology from KS3 to KS5. They should have experience of working in an academically aspirational school or the desire to do so. Ideally, they will have knowledge of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. Previous IB teaching experience is preferable but not essential as all the necessary IB training will be provided. Experience shows us that a flexible and resourceful A-Level teacher will be able to deliver the IB syllabus effectively. We expect the successful candidate will be someone who has either newly or fully Qualified Teacher Status (or equivalent). UK-accredited induction year can be offered by the school for newly qualified teachers.
Very importantly, they will be an active participant in the Teacher & Learning Groups - timetabled periods where small cross-curricular groups of colleagues meet to discuss and conduct an annual cycle of classroom-based pedagogical research.
The school is at the very early stages of developing its own Pre-IB Programme (KS4) to replace IGCSEs and therefore an interest in innovative and bespoke curriculum development would be a big advantage.
We will look at all applications on an individual basis and the role of Head of Biology might be available for the right candidate, as would a delayed start date if September 2019 is too soon for contractual or logistical reasons.
Biology lessons are taught in our recently refurbished laboratories, with a strong emphasis on practical and investigation work. ICT is integrated throughout the curriculum at the College, so we are seeking someone who is excited by the possibilities provided by technology as an addition to, rather than a replacement for, more traditional teaching techniques.
The right candidate will be joining a diverse and dedicated team who maintain a dynamic learning and extra-curricular environment in which the needs and talents of the individual student are recognised and nurtured.
We are looking for someone with:
- A genuine understanding of the importance of establishing and maintaining good relationships for effective learning and academic leadership.
- A creative approach to teaching Science & Biology, combining engagement with academic rigour and an understanding of the importance of practical and investigation work.
- A passion for educating, inspiring and understanding children and a belief that every child can succeed beyond her/his expectations.
- A commitment to professionalism and the desire to be part of an HMC school with a prestigious history and an important role to play in providing all students with an internationally-minded liberal education.
- A love of learning and a commitment to continuing to learn, through classroom-based research, collaboration and peer observation.
- A desire to participate holistically in the life of a busy and ambitious school, through pastoral support and co-curricular activities (such as supporting school clubs or student charity work).
- The flexibility and sense of humour required to work abroad, with both the great benefits and minor challenges that it presents.
- An interest in getting to know Prague and the Czech Republic, its people, its culture and language.
Job Specification Overview:
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a good degree in Biology or a related subject, as well as a recognised teaching qualification.
- Be able to teach Biology throughout the school. The ability to teach a further science to Key Stage 4 is an advantage but not essential.
- Be able to work proactively within the Biology department and wider Faculty, exchanging ideas and sharing resources.
- Be a team player and collaborative worker, but also able to infuse their teaching with their own personality and style.
- Participate in relevant IB training and internally-arranged professional development, including contributing to training sessions where appropriate.
Short School Statement
We are an unusual, exciting and academic HMC secondary school educating both Czech and international students. While we prepare our students for a small number of core IGCSEs, and Common European Framework language exams, our main focus is on delivering success in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and the Czech Maturita qualification. Each year, our graduates go on to study at universities in the UK (usually including Oxbridge), continental Europe and North America. We offer the successful candidate adventure, challenge and good remuneration in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
For further information including a description of living and working in the Czech Republic, please visit the English College in Prague website via this link.
How to apply:
Email the Headmaster, Dr. Nigel Brown, at email@example.com with a short covering letter and a full c.v. Please include a complete career history as well as the names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers of two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent Headteacher.
Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be notified as soon as their application has been reviewed (which will be within 2-3 days of receipt). Interviews will be conducted either by Skype, or in person in London or Prague (travel expenses will be reimbursed), depending on the circumstances.