Science Teacher for August 2021
The British School, Alexandria seeks applications from enthusiastic, hard-working and talented teachers looking to develop their teaching career in an international setting. We follow the British National Curriculum and you would teach some KS3/KS4 Science, and A-Level level Biology. You would be joining a strong department with a supportive and committed group of experienced teachers.
The British School of Alexandria seeks applications from enthusiastic, hard-working and talented teachers looking to develop their teaching career in an international setting.
We follow the British National Curriculum and students sit IGCSE and A-level examinations. We would need you to teach KS3 Science and IGCSE Biology, and an absolute essential is to be able to deliver AS/A2 Biology. You would be joining a very strong department which achieves excellent results. The successful applicant will start in late August 2021.
The British School, Alexandria is a long-established, high-achieving and forward-thinking 3-18 International School known for its family atmosphere. It enjoys an excellent reputation both within Alexandria and further afield. It is recognized by the DfE and is an accredited member of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS). In our recent BSO inspection, we were described as a “Good school with many outstanding features”. We are committed to ensuring excellent learning and teaching in a caring environment. You will find the school a rewarding and friendly place to work with good relationships between staff and students. We have a strong commitment to the professional development of all our staff.
We are the first and only school in Africa to be awarded High-Performance Learning (HPL) accreditation and the first school in Africa to be a member of the Fellowship of World Class Schools. We believe in the growth-mindset philosophy of HPL and are enriching our students with the cognitive and attitude tool kit to thrive in an ever-competitive 21st-century global society.
Alexandria is a bustling, friendly and cosmopolitan city on the Mediterranean coast, full of historical interest. Life for teachers is enjoyable with a low cost of living and sufficiently good infrastructure, shops, cafes and restaurants to lead a semi-European lifestyle. Most teachers are able to save at least 75% of their salary and, at the same time, enjoy exploring Egypt.
• Degree from a UK university or similar any science or a related subject
• Qualified Teacher Status / PGCE
(Although we will consider NQTs and we can offer a fully authorised induction program)
• Experience of teaching in the British education system either in the UK or in British international schools
• Satisfactory Police / DBS checks
Terms and Conditions /Advantages
• Very Competitive tax-free salary
• Furnished quality accommodation with sole occupancy within walking distance of the school (minimum 2-bedroom furnished apartment for single teachers and 3-bedroom family accommodation for families) in a very pleasant suburb of Alexandria
• Annual return flights to the UK for the teacher, spouse and dependents
• Beginning and end-of-contract baggage allowance
• 2 free school places for dependent children (and 50% for a third child)
• Health insurance for teacher, spouse and dependents
• Small class sizes (typically 15 students in a class) - much smaller at A level
• Motivated students who want to learn
• Forward-looking British independent international school at the heart of the community with a family atmosphere
• Excellent professional development together with opportunities to take on the responsibility
• British international accredited (COBIS and BSME) not-for-profit school for children aged 3-18
• Vibrant North African Egyptian city with excellent opportunities for travel
If you would be interested in joining us, please visit our website www.bsalex.net for further details and download an application form. Alternatively complete fully the TES application including a full CV and letter of application. Please e-mail the completed application form together with a brief letter of application, of no more than two sides of A4, to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to email@example.com
Applications will be considered and dealt with upon receipt up to and including the 13th May 2021.
If you have any questions or would like any further details, please do not hesitate to contact our School Principal Mr Hugill firstname.lastname@example.org
The British School, Alexandria is committed to all aspects of safeguarding and we take seriously our safe grading responsibility hence references and police/DBS checks will be undertaken on these successful candidates.
You must meet the following requirements for a visa or working permit:
- A degree related to subject taught.
- PGCE or PGDE or similar teaching qualification.
- Proficient in English.
- Should hold a valid passport from either Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States.
- References, Medical check, Criminal background check
- Over 22 and below 65 years of age
The British School, Alexandria
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
We have recently celebrated our 35th Anniversary and continue to be one of the leading schools in Alexandria and the surrounding area. We have close links with the British Embassy - our Patron is Her Britannic Majesty's Ambassador to Egypt. &nb...