Dunottar is a co-educational school for pupils aged 11-18 set in extensive grounds of 15 acres on the outskirts of Reigate. Having joined United Learning in March 2014, the school became co-educational in September 2014, with boys joining Dunottar for the first time. With a new Headmaster in September 2017, the school is on a very exciting journey. The school is experiencing fast growth in pupil numbers and it recently announced a £6.6Million capital development programme to build a new Sixth Form Centre and a whole school Assembly Hall to accommodate future growth.
Dunottar is a great place to work, with a team of highly professional and committed teachers and support staff. We incorporate best practice from independent schools and academies right across the United Learning Group, whilst retaining our unique, friendly ethos in Reigate where pupils are nurtured to make significant personal progress at the same time as achieving excellent academic results. United Learning is an outstanding organisation which prides itself on providing a working and learning environment which encourages ‘the best in everyone’. You will join a network of staff belonging to 60 other schools, with opportunities to engage with fellow professionals which far exceed what one school could achieve on its own. Personal development and career opportunities are excellent.
Dunottar has a well-established Science department. In Year 7 and 8 pupils are taught science, from Year 9, pupils commence their Science GCSEs taking AQA science in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. At A level the AQA Physics and Chemistry specification is followed.
The Science department has good facilities with five spacious, well-equipped laboratories and two preparation rooms. There is a weekly science club during lunchtimes and after school as well as other enrichment opportunities for pupils. The successful candidate will be expected to make a contribution to these initiatives as well as to the co-curricular programme.
We are seeking to appoint a high calibre and enthusiastic teacher to join this successful and friendly department to cover a 2 term, fixed term maternity cover. We are looking for someone with an ability to stimulate curiosity and interest in the sciences and who is prepared to give full commitment to the aims and ethos of the Science Department and to Dunottar School. You might be an experienced teacher looking to move to a new school, or alternatively, we are also keen to consider applications from NQT candidates who are able to teach Chemistry to A-Level.
• A record of excellent academic achievement including a relevant honours degree
• High levels of personal and professional integrity
• Self-confidence, personal energy and dynamism
• Personal warmth, good rapport with pupils, colleagues and parents
• Excellent organisational skills
• Excellent oral and written English skills
• Appropriate levels of personal presentation
• Confident use of ICT
Teaching and Learning
• Enthusiasm for, and an excellent knowledge of the relevant curriculum
• Evidence of creative and innovative approaches to teaching and learning including the appropriate use of ICT
• Commitment to improving, monitoring and evaluating teaching and learning
• The ability to teach Chemistry to A level is essential and up to Oxbridge would be an advantage
• An ability to make all pupils feel valued and involved in your lessons
Philosophy and Ethos
• A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
• High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
• Commitment to best practice in pastoral support and student welfare
• Commitment to helping with extra-curricular activities and curriculum enrichment