St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 360 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
St Mary’s Calne is looking for a talented and enthusiastic teacher, with outstanding inter-personal skills, to teach A Level Economics and Mathematics up to GCSE. A Level Mathematics teaching may be available for a suitably qualified applicant. It is envisaged that the proportion of Economics to Mathematics teaching will be 1:2 but there is flexibility over the exact ratio depending on experience.
The aim of the Economics Department is to be at the very pinnacle of UK secondary education. The success of the Department and its strong examination results is built upon a foundation of inspirational teaching and learning, effective questioning, insightful feedback and empowering girls to make a habit of being successful. More broadly, we encourage girls to enter a range of Economics competitions and to take part in the Young Enterprise scheme, in both of which they are often very successful.
The Mathematics Department is very experienced and cooperates extremely well as a team. Each of the teaching rooms has a computer and a data projector and there a number of computer suites which can be booked for use as appropriate. The department has access to individual laptops and graphical calculators and IT resources are regularly used within lessons. Examination results are consistently excellent. Many opportunities for the gifted and talented are offered whilst the department also runs a number of Maths surgeries throughout the week to offer extra support.
What we want from you
• A strong academic background and a good honours degree in Economics, Mathematics or a related subject.
• Qualified Teacher Status.
• Up to date knowledge of relevant subject developments for pupils 11-18.
• An empathetic, enthusiastic and well-presented person, capable of inspiring confidence in pupils, parents and staff.
• Ability to: work flexibly to fulfil the requirements of the post; prioritise; work calmly under pressure and respond positively to changing demands.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with very good written and spoken English.
• Excellent organisational and time management skills; competency in the use of ICT for administration and teaching purposes.
• An understanding of the expectations, ethos and aims of a full boarding school.
• Committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people.
What we offer
• Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school
• Highly motivated girls with lessons taught in small groups
• Competitive salary and membership of the Teacher Pension Scheme
• Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre
• Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School
• Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time
• Free on-site parking
How to Apply
Telephone: 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: 9am, Monday 8th March 2021
St Mary's Calne
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary School
- Girls school with students of age 11 - 18 years
St Mary’s Calne is an independent boarding and day school for girls aged 11-18, a happy, purposeful and flourishing community of around 360 pupils with a 80% to 20% boarding to day ratio.
Founded in 1873, the school has been providing an outsta...