DLD College London are currently seeking for a Teacher of Economics with possible Head of Department responsibilities. Alpha Plus Group is one of the largest privately-owned school groups in the UK and it owns 20 highly regarded schools and colleges. All our schools aim to create a world class teaching and learning environment. Alpha Plus Group is the Gold Standard provider of education to children aged between six months and eighteen years of age. We are committed to providing the best education for children in our care and all our schools have high aspirations and expectations for every child.
DLD College is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. DLD College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all learners and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate checks including an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check as well as providing proof of your right to work in the UK.
Main Purpose of the Job
Leadership and management of the department of Economics (possibility)
• Raising standards of student attainment within the department
• To be responsible for the running of the department and oversee all aspects of the delivery of the department.
• Developing and enhancing the teaching practice of others
• To be accountable for student progress and development in the department
• To enhance teaching and undertake quality assurance through a programme of lesson observations, work scrutiny and share best practice
• To assist in the interview and recruitment of students
• To contribute to performance management, CPD and the appraisal process of staff
Duties & Key Responsibilities
Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of the students for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
To liaise with the Vice Principal (Academic) to ensure the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost-effective curriculum programme which Each teacher should always:
• be vigilant for the appearance of welfare/conduct problems (attendance, punctuality, appearance, mood etc.) of students and inform the relevant Personal Tutor or Director of Studies
• set excellent standards of punctuality, speech and manner
• dress in a professional manner
• seek to make the classroom and college environment friendly and stimulating
• issue instructions clearly and without ambiguity
• listen to students and stimulate dialogue. Always seek to encourage students
• deal promptly with any aspect of student behaviour that is to the detriment of the development of other students in the group or the college as a whole
• ensure that the classroom is always neat, tidy, safe and a pleasant place to work in, being attentive to the overall security of the college premises.
• A good honours degree in an appropriate subject. Desirable: Teaching qualification and/or other post graduate qualification
• Expertise and academic competence; the ability to seek, review, apply and share best practice. Many of the students who choose Economics do not have English as a first language. Previous experience of teaching international students would therefore be an advantage.
• To set targets, monitor progress and work towards their achievement.
• To establish common high standards of practice within the department
• To ensure the teaching rooms present a stimulating environment with high quality displays of students’ work
• To contribute to the college procedures for lesson observation, production of an annual Development Plan that identifies strengths and weakness in the delivery of the course
• To seek/implement modification and improvement where required.
• To ensure students are entered for the correct examinations (and units if relevant)
All teaching responsibilities are as described in the teaching duties.
• Have a passion for education and excellence; to accept responsibility; show in their actions and decisions firmness, fairness, consistency and integrity
DLD College London
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 14 - 19 years