Teacher of English (Part Time)
The School is seeking to appoint a part time teacher of English to cover a maternity leave starting in January 2018 until July 2018.
This is a large, busy and supportive department of experienced teachers led by the Head of Department. The department teaches English from Years 9-13. In Years 9-11 pupils study both English Language and Literature. In the Sixth Form pupil numbers have been very good in recent years. The department runs various trips and visits during the course of the year.
For full details about the department, please see the English department website by following the link below:
The position reports to the Head of English and involves teaching a 0.7 timetable. The role includes the following responsibilities:
- Responsibility for the teaching and learning of pupils who study English from years 9-13 within the allocated teaching sets. These include Year 9, Year 10, Year 11 and Year 13 classes.
- Setting and marking appropriate work for these teaching sets.
- Maintaining high standards in the classroom
- Communicating effectively with the Head of Department, parents, tutors and House
- masters/mistresses on matters relating to pupils
- Attending Parents’ Receptions/Meetings Person Specification • The ability to inspire and teach pupils of different abilities and backgrounds in a co-educational context
- Excellent subject knowledge
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- High professional standards and integrity
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and to prioritise within a busy boarding school environment
- Good ICT skills
Qualifications and Experience
- Very good standard of education, an honours degree in English and preferably a teaching qualification
- Experience of teaching English in a senior school, preferably with some co-educational experience
- Ability to teach English to A Level