A generous recruitment and retention allowance is available for the right candidate.
Testbourne Community School is an Outstanding School (Ofsted 2010) set in the heart of its community. Most of our students come from Whitchurch or one of its surrounding picturesque villages. Due to our location, we are also well-served by transport links to the towns of Basingstoke, Andover and Newbury, and the city of Winchester, which provides ample opportunity for networking with other schools and services.
We are a growing school with approximately 900 students currently on roll. We pride ourselves on the strength of staff and student relationships; our shared philosophy is embodied by our strapline ‘Achievement, Excellence and Integrity.’ We are passionate about teaching and learning, basing our approach on the latest educational and scientific research about how children learn. We operate with high levels of professional trust and autonomy and have an ambition to become an Institute of Learning Excellence in the future.
This post has arisen as part of our strategic plan to increase the capacity of the English department and to facilitate our focus on the development of teaching and learning. You would be joining an already strong department with a proven track record of GCSE results. The position provides an exciting career opportunity for an ambitious candidate who would like to further develop their career as part of our dynamic teaching and learning team with a relentless drive for the highest learning and achievement and who, themselves, has future aspirations to become Head of an English Department.
Due to the nature of the post, the successful candidate will have a track record of excellent teaching and examination results alongside an ability to mentor, coach and lead others.
We are dedicated to offering the right candidate systematic professional development to enable them to achieve excellence. We provide a highly supportive environment with opportunities to develop as an education practitioner and leader. The school is part of PIXL and has strong ties with local school alliances and consortia and therefore has access to a strong professional network in which to share good practice and support your growth as a professional and a leader.
In summary, the successful candidate will:
• be an excellent teacher of English;
• have a passion for learning and teaching and be committed to raising standards across the department;
• be up to date with current pedagogical thinking;
• be able to inspire others to ensure the delivery of high-quality learning experiences for our students;
• have fantastic subject knowledge and understand how to teach highly challenging lessons so that students can reach the top grades in the subject;
• have extremely high expectations of themselves and others;
• be effective in supporting the work of the Head of Department;
• be committed to ongoing professional development with a desire to develop beyond this post in the future;
• have a “can do” attitude and be willing to go the extra mile when required.
We can offer you:
• a highly professional and collaborative working environment focused on developing a love of learning;
• the resources and facilities to continue to improve students' progress and attainment;
• an opportunity to demonstrate leadership and develop skills in a committed, evaluative and continually developing team;
• first rate personal career development to assist you in the fulfilment of your ambitions