Island School Website: http://island.edu.hk
Secondary School with 1,200 students.
We are looking to appoint a mainscale teacher of English Language and Literature from August 2020
The main role of the classroom teacher is to maximise student learning and development through the planning, preparation and teaching of programmes which meet students’ individual learning needs and achieve specific student outcomes. Teachers teach a range of student abilities and classes and are accountable for the effective delivery of their programmes (MYP, IGCSE, IB Diploma).
Classroom teachers assume roles beyond the classroom in endeavouring to maximise students’ learning. These roles include working collaboratively with colleagues and other members of the school community, and communicating with parents and care-givers.
The classroom teacher’s contribution to the school goes beyond the classroom. They participate in the development of the school policies and programmes and assist in the implementation of school priorities. All classroom teachers may be required to undertake other duties in addition to their teaching duties.
Teaching and Assessment:
● Planning lessons and sequences of lessons to meet student’s individual learning needs and to ensure each student’s progression.
● Using a range of appropriate strategies for teaching and learning and classroom management.
● Using flexible groupings and structured inquiry to deliver high quality lessons in line with the IBO philosophy.
● Maintaining a well organised and stimulating learning environment.
● Using learning technologies to enhance learning.
● Using information about prior attainment to set expectations for students.
● Using a range of assessment and reporting methods that show student’s achievement in relation to learning outcomes.
● Providing clear and constructive feedback to students and their parents and caregivers.
Wider professional roles:
● Planning and engaging in professional learning activities that support school and systematic priorities.
● Taking responsibility for own professional development and using the outcomes to improve teaching and students’ learning.
● Making an active contribution to the policies and aspirations of the school.
● Collaborating with members of the school community to build a team environment that supports students’ learning.
● Running an extra-curricular activity
● Playing a pastoral role through the House system
The position will be a full-time renewable contract for an initial two year period from August 2020. Support with obtaining Hong Kong residence will be provided if necessary. See ESF Terms and Condition for further details of the package.
Bachelor Degree in Education, or Bachelor Degree in English with PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education), or equivalent.
1-3 years’ teaching experience within a recognised educational organisation
● Analysis/problem solving
A thorough and up-to-date understanding of the teaching of English Language and Literature, preferably the MYP, IGCSE and IB Diploma.
Teaching in Hong Kong
Hong Kong is a premier destination for expatriate and local teachers! ESF Teachers enjoy an extremely lucrative salary package and a very high standard of living overall, in an exciting and vibrant world city. The teaching profession is highly respected, student motivation and outcomes are excellent, and all teachers receive considerable support from ESF and SIS with settling into Hong Kong, as well as with their professional development. Please feel free to contact us in advance about life in Hong Kong if you feel a conversation on this topic would be helpful.
Closing Date: 14 Feb 2020
For enquiries, please contact Betty Tsu at +852 2524-7135 or email@example.com.
Applications must be submitted online through https://recruit.esf.edu.hk
Step 1: Go to the Registration tab and register. You will then receive an email with an activation link.
Step 2: When your account has been activated, login to the system and click "Job Listing"
Step 3: Check the box next to the job(s) that you wish to apply for and click "Apply & Continue".
By applying for this position, your application may be considered for other opportunities within ESF.
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.