ST MARY’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Newcastle upon Tyne
Headteacher: J Foster
Number on Roll c.1425
Teacher of English
Main or Upper Pay Range
Required for September 2020
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Teacher of English to contribute to our flourishing English department. The role may appeal to candidates seeking their first teaching post or, equally, to recently qualified or more experienced teachers, looking to develop in an outstanding school. There will be opportunities to teach post 16 for experienced candidates. St Mary’s is a great place to work and provides excellent job satisfaction, as it is a very supportive environment. We provide excellent CPD for NQTs and recently qualified teachers, as well as on-going training for more experienced teachers. There are opportunities for teachers at all levels to help develop teaching and learning across the school, working collaboratively with teachers from other departments, whether as coaches, researchers or SLEs. The working environment is, therefore, a very stimulating one for all staff and is an added attraction of this post.
St Mary’s is a very popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,200 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 220, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years. In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, English is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:-
Key Stage 4
- 90% of pupils achieved grade 4 and above in the challenging new specifications in English Language and Literature in 2019, and 41% achieved a grade 7 or above.
- Consistently outstanding Progress scores in English, averaging +0.57 over the past 3 years.
Key Stage 5
- 100% pass rate in A Level Language and A Level Literature over the last 3 years.
- 100% A* - C in A Level courses offered by the department in 2018 and 2019.
- In English Language A level in 2019, an extraordinary 70% of students achieved A*-A, whilst in English Literature this figure was 63%.
Leadership, teaching and the climate for learning in English are all outstanding, as they are across the whole school.
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a teacher with:-
- A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
- A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
- A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
- An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
- The ability to promote a love of learning English in our students
Application packs are available to download from our school website, or by e-mailing the Director of Finance and Support Services, email@example.com. If you require any further information about the post, please do not hesitate to contact John Foster, Headteacher or Suzanne Fisher, Senior Assistant Headteacher on 0191 215 3260.
Closing date: 9.00am on Monday 24th February 2020.
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.