The English Department consists of four members of staff, but is currently joined with the Mathematics Department to form a Faculty of eight. Teachers have their own classrooms, which are well-equipped and resourced, and neighbouring each other on the same corridor. The English Department is well resourced with a large book stock as well as a range of audio-visual equipment.
For GCSE English Language the department follows EDUQAS and for Literature Edexcel. GCSE is followed in both English Language and English Literature. At A Level, Edexcel English Literature and is taught. The department are extremely collaborative in their production of schemes of work and lessons, which promotes a positive work-life balance.
At Key Stage 3, pupils follow a three-year spiral curriculum. Key Stage 3 pupils have six lessons a fortnight, where Key Stage pupils have four lessons a fortnight for both English Literature and English Language, which are taught as separate subjects. At A-Level, pupils have eight lessons over a fortnight.
The department has been praised by external visitors for its strengths, and is this year participating in the national SSIF project which has had been extremely positively received. The department are committed to providing quality first teaching.
The successful candidate must:
• Be an outstanding classroom practioner
• Have high expectations for pupils and outcomes
• Be willing to work collaboratively within the English team
• Excellent and creative teaching skills, which engage students.
• Good classroom management and high expectations of students.
• The ability to motivate and inspire students.
• The ability to stimulate curiosity, interest and enjoyment in English.
• The commitment and determination to raise student progress.
• An ability to work well as part of a team and take an active part in Faculty developments.
• An enthusiasm for English teaching beyond the classroom.
Norton Canes High School in a small, community-focused high school situated in the village of Norton Canes, on the outskirt of Cannock Chase.