A Teacher of English is sought for Southern International School Hatyai, a rapidly growing, co-educational, pre-school to 16 Cambridge International School in the prosperous and friendly southern Thai city of Hat Yai. We have recently become an accredited examination centre for Cambridge International Examinations and have started the process of becoming accredited through the Education Development Trust.
Southern International is a young and ambitious school with a ‘can-do’ attitude and we are looking for a teacher who can bring a love of English language and enthusiasm to the classroom, develop enquiring minds and inspire our students to achieve the best results possible. The successful candidate would be expected to teach in Key Stages 3 and 4 initially. We currently follow the English National Curriculum with Cambridge Checkpoint examinations at the end of Year 9 and English at IGCSE. As a teacher of English you will also be expected to support our EAL programme and contribute to the improvement in language competence and confidence across the school.
The successful candidate will also bring something interesting to our extra- curricular activities programme and support the language development of our learners. We will celebrate events such as World Book Day and World Poetry Day Day and would look to the English teacher to lead these and other activities.
Hat Yai in Songkhla province has grown from a small but busy commercial town into a lively but manageable city of a little over a million, surrounded by rice paddies, forested hills and waterfalls. The tourist hot spots of Krabi, Trang and Phuket are easily accessible for long weekend trips, but there are several unspoiled destinations much closer to home. New upmarket bistros and restaurants are springing up seemingly overnight, adding to the cosmopolitan feel of this welcoming city. Accommodation is cheap and varied, from Thai-style houses to newly built, self-contained condominiums with shared swimming pools. Our parents are mostly from the growing young professional classes, business leaders and expat workers from the nearby offshore gas companies.
For overseas teachers we provide a housing allowance, a settling-in allowance, healthcare insurance and a contribution to flights from and to their country of origin. We also provide scholarships for up to two dependent children. Visas and work permits are arranged by our liaison officer. The salary and benefits package is very competitive given the low cost of living here, and our current staff have a comfortable lifestyle in a safe, friendly city.
Before you apply, please look at our website www.southerninter.com and Facebook page. The successful candidate should:
- Hold a first degree plus a post-graduate qualification in education (e.g. PGCE); or a Bachelor’s degree in Education or equivalent.
- Be a fluent speaker of English.
- Be confident in the use of technology, both in teaching and in administration.
- Be able to engage, motivate and support children, staff and parents.
- Be a reflective practitioner with the ability to think creatively.
- Be a positive and enthusiastic member of the staff community,
- Be willing to fully involve themselves in the extra-curricular life of the school.
- responsible for the development and management of the school’s English curriculum.
- keep up to date with developments and publications in the subject.
- promote the work of the English department regularly through the school website, publications and newsletters.
- To produce and manage a budget for the English department.
- To ensure books and other resources in the English department are maintained and replaced where necessary.
Southern International School Hat Yai is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to provide an International Child Protection Certificate if UK based, or the equivalent if overseas, as well as reference checks from previous employers. Any offer of appointment will be subject to the above checks being completed successfully.
Please apply with a full CV and letter of application, including the contact details of two referees. Unless you specify otherwise, we will contact the referees of all shortlisted candidates. Please apply to the Principal at email@example.com