Want to work at a school which takes teacher workload seriously?
Whether you’re an NQT or you have been teaching English for decades, to be truly ‘great’ you need an environment in which pupils genuinely want to learn. An environment in which your colleagues are as geeky about your subject as you are. And, if you want to keep developing, you need the right professional development opportunities.
Barr Beacon School offers you this – and more.
You might have read about us in the news. Our teachers work very hard but they only ever do work which is going to make a difference for our pupils. Quite simply, we believe in common sense approaches to everything. That means:
- Our teachers do very little marking. Why bother when there are much better ways to give pupils the feedback they need?
- We never ask for lesson plans. Of any kind. Ever.
- We don’t have a teaching and learning policy because we trust teachers to decide the best approaches for their pupils.
- Although schemes of work and resources are provided, they are not prescriptive – teachers can adapt them however they like.
- There is no pressure to ‘put on a show’ in lessons: A culture of typicality is reinforced by no lesson gradings (outstanding, good, etc).
- Everyone has the highest expectations of behaviour, with all staff (not just teaching staff) reinforcing those expectations.
- A clear system of sanctions which is applied consistently so staff don’t have to have battles with pupils.
- Senior Leadership are very visible and all staff ‘own’ their corridors.
- CPD is tailored specifically to staff needs, based off their feedback. This includes a fully funded Masters programme available to everyone.
- We have a culture of 'geek is chic���, where it’s not just the staff who are eager to develop but the pupils are hungry to learn too.
- There are no prizes for looking busy or staying late – we work in a way that suits us we make sure you make time for ourselves and our families.
That’s just 11 of the things we do to secure our teachers’ well-being. There are 36 more here: http://www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk/47-things-we-do-staff-well-being/
It’s not just staff who love what we do at our school. Parents do too. It’s why were so oversubscribed, with 4 times the amount of applications for every place we have. English is always expanding – quite literally this year, with the brand new £4 million block with all new English classrooms. It’s why we’re seeking to expand our English team. We offer both English literature and English language at A level, and every member of the team is given the opportunity to teach the full age range if they want to.
We need a talented teacher of English who has the passion to provide pupils with the best possible experience of this fascinating subject. Could it be you?
If you are already interested in joining us, visit www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk to download an application form and send it to Lynsey Draycott: LDraycott@barrbeaconschool.co.uk
Closing date: Friday 19th October 2018