We are looking for a well-qualified graduate to teach English throughout the school. Our English department is a large, diverse, inclusive and collegiate department of informed and passionate teachers of language and literature. We all teach across the range of abilities, ages, and specifications.
- Teach across the age and ability-range, extending the most able and supporting those who find the subject challenging;
- Contribute more widely to the department through, for example, enrichment activities, administering internal examinations, interventions to support individuals or groups of pupils or outreach activities;
- Seek to develop your own professional practice and development in conjunction with your Head of Department;
- Follow the school’s assessment and reporting processes and attend parents’ meetings as required;
- Contribute to the co-curricular life of the school as agreed with your Head of Department;
- Be committed to the safeguarding of all young people;
- Tutor a group of typically six pupils initially, talking an interest in their academic progress and well-being;
- Assist for one evening on a regular basis in a boarding house, supporting the house master and getting to know all the pupils.
The Ideal Candidate
You will be a reflective classroom teacher who:
- has a good honours degree (2:1 or above) and/or a further degree in a directly-related subject;
- is passionate about their subject and can demonstrate the subject knowledge required to deliver engaging lessons across the age and ability range of students at the school;
- shares Eton’s holistic vision of education and is excited to contribute to the co-curricular and pastoral aspects of boarding-school life;
- demonstrates a solid understanding of, and commitment to working within the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion;
- has strong interpersonal skills and can build relationships and collaborate with a wide range of people;
- is committed to their ongoing professional development;
- embraces developments and innovations in teaching and learning and is open to a range of approaches to assessment and differentiation in the classroom;
- can demonstrate good ICT competence and willingness to use new technologies for teaching and learning;
- is highly motivated and can work independently as well as within wider teams;
- is interested in the welfare and pastoral wellbeing of young people;
- has excellent oral and written communication skills;
- has a positive attitude, an optimistic approach to change and development, a balanced sense of perspective and a good sense of humour.
This role comes with the benefit of school-provided accommodation. Many of our teaching staff and their families are accommodated at the school in flats and houses around Eton. Accommodation is provided free of charge and is not currently a taxable benefit as it is provided for the better performance of the duties this role entails. However, the College gives no assurance that this tax treatment will continue to be permitted. Details of this will be discussed with the successful candidate.
We have a structured and well-funded professional development programme, in addition to a culture of sharing best practices informally within departments. For all new staff, there is an induction and mentoring programme and a tailored programme for new Heads of Departments. Teachers joining the profession are supported as they find their feet, and anyone wanting to gain QTS or PGCE qualifications are given significant help and resources.
- Teachers’ pension scheme
- Bike-to-work scheme
- Counselling and legal advice services
- School fee reduction (means-tested)
- Eyecare plan
- Free use of sports and leisure facilities
- Discount at local shops and amenities
- Subsidised Masters’ Common Room
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary School
- Boys school with students of age 13 - 18 years
Eton has been educating for the future for nearly 600 years.
Our academic success derives from a longstanding commitment to learning and independent thought and pupils benefit from the intellectual quality and inspiring teaching of Masters who are pa...