Teacher of English, full-time
Up to one academic year contract
Location: South Manchester
Required September 2018.
The English Department currently consists of three full-time members of staff (including the Head of Department) and four part-time staff, all of whom are passionate about English.
As in all subjects at Withington, excellent examination results are achieved by a combination of the pupils’ high academic ability and the intellectually stimulating and rigorous manner in which they are taught. The Department believes strongly in enrichment, diversity and extension and our lessons go beyond the requirements of the National Curriculum; in all our teaching, we aim to build confidence, independence and a love of literature and language.
Teamwork plays an important role within the Department: the staff strive to enhance the quality of teaching and learning by sharing good practice, resources and ideas. A warm and supportive atmosphere that makes our work both fun and rewarding balances the dedication, diligence and high expectations shared by the Department.
Members of the English Department contribute to a wide range of extra-curricular activities: we have had considerable success in debating competitions over recent years with pupils winning national and international competitions and regularly competing successfully in local and regional debates and the English Department is instrumental in preparing pupils for the Sir Rhys Davies Mock Trial Competition. In addition there are reading groups for each year group and, in collaboration with the School Library, we take part in the Carnegie Shadowing Scheme. Creative writing is encouraged, with pupils entering various poetry and story writing competitions and the Department oversees the writing, editing and publication of our whole-school magazine, ‘Scrawl’. All members of the Department assist with the organisation of theatre trips.
We are looking for someone to join this exceptional team who shares our vision, is passionate about English and can convey interest and enthusiasm for the subject throughout the School The pupils currently sit AQA GCSEs in English Language and English Literature at the end of Year 11. Both English Language and English Literature are popular choices at A level: we currently offer AQA Specification B English Literature and OCR English Language.
We can offer you:
- The opportunity to join our outstanding school where public examination results consistently place Withington among the top twenty schools in the UK, as the best Independent School in the North West and in the top twelve in the country for university placements at the most prestigious UK universities.
- Keen, committed and very able students who are positive and active learners.
- A highly diverse environment where pupils come from a wide geographical area in and around Manchester and from many different social, cultural and religious backgrounds.
- Colleagues eager to share passion and enthusiasm for their subject and an environment where the relationship between pupils and staff is a particular strength.
- A warm and friendly school where teachers are given professional respect to develop their teaching methodologies.
- A school which, by following the concepts of Respect for Self, Respect for Others and Responsibility for Personal Actions, has little need for formal rules.
- Excellent facilities, including the latest resources to support learning.
What you can offer us:
- A capable and highly enthusiastic teacher with excellent subject knowledge and a passion for English.
- The ability to teach English to highly able pupils across KS3, GCSE level, and A Level.
- The willingness and ability to use a variety of teaching methods to suit pupils’ individual learning needs, selecting appropriate learning resources and embracing the use of new technology.
- Commitment to contribute to extra-curricular events and activities in the department.
- The ability to work well both independently and as a member of our team.