Ark Greenwich is a new, ambitious school model based on what we know excellent schools do. We have created a highly respectful and disciplined environment where our staff and students can fulfil their potential. Our aim is to consistently be one of the highest performing schools in the country.
Joining the school team is a superb opportunity for an ambitious and motivated teacher who wants to make a lasting difference to the communities they serve.
Ark Greenwich exists to empower young people, regardless of socio-economic background, to grow and be successful. This is an ambitious and forward-thinking school that encourages innovation and values its staff. We are proud of our highly respectful and disciplined community and of the outstanding academic outcomes achieved by our pupils. Expectations for all members of our community are unashamedly sky high. We work tirelessly to impact the lives of the young people we serve. Students at our school are passionate about Geography and achieve exceptional outcomes.
How is Ark Greenwich different?
• We are part of the Ark family of schools and benefit accordingly from outstanding networking and career opportunities and first-class CPD.
• Staff wellbeing is one of our main priorities. We provide breakfast for staff each morning and have a 6pm/weekend work-related communication curfew to ensure our staff can maintain a work/life balance. We do not do knee jerk reactions, fads or last-minute deadlines. Our systems and processes for communication, marking and feedback and assessment are streamlined and the approaches we take are research-led and based on the needs of our local context.
• This is a small school model (600 students aged 11-16) because we believe that our close-knit community provides the optimum conditions for success.
• Behaviour for learning is exceptional so our teachers can focus their time on the things that matter – planning and delivering brilliant lessons for our students.
• This is a strict no excuses, no mobile phone school.
• Our curriculum is traditional and academic, and we do not take shortcuts – we do not offer vocational courses or equivalencies such as Btecs or Vcerts. 95% of students are entered for the Ebacc qualification.
• We put high-quality teaching at the heart of what we do. We are committed to providing staff with at least 1 hour of high-quality training every week. We run coaching for staff who want to see rapid progress in their discipline. Live coaching and current best practice in the field of education is central to our approach.
• We don’t grade individual lessons or ask for lesson plans.
• Our students enjoy a compulsory co-curricular program on a Wednesday which includes a strong focus on community volunteering and we facilitate 12 drop-down days per academic year ensuring our pupils benefit from a range of life-enriching experiences.
If you are ready to add further value to our high performing Geography department, then you will find this job extremely rewarding.
Alignment with the school’s vision, values and approach to education is essential.
The Role and the Department
Geography is highly valued and taught throughout the curriculum each week from Year 7-9. In Year 9 pupils will select their GCSE option subjects and Geography is a popular choice. Our first-class Geography classrooms which afford beautiful views across London offer the ideal environment for our GCSE Geography students to thrive and fulfil their potential. Currently, approximately 60% of students select GCSE Geography as an option subject at GCSE level.
The department-specific Progress 8 score has been positive for the last two years with many students going on to achieve the top grade 7-9 category. Field trips and excursions form a central part of the Geography curriculum.
About Ark Schools
Ark is a network of high-achieving, non-selective schools and one of the country’s top-performing academy groups. We run 38 academies in London, Birmingham, Hastings, London, and Portsmouth educating more than 26,000 pupils. 83% of Ark schools are now rated as good or outstanding by Ofsted.
Our aim is to create outstanding schools that give every pupil, regardless of their background, the opportunity to go to university or pursue the career of their choice.
To find out more about Ark Greenwich, please visit our website via www.arkgreenwichfreeschool.org
Closing date: 09:00 Monday 27th January 2020.
The school reserves the right to close this advert early should the right candidate be found. Interviews may take place before the advertised closing date. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early for this role.