HARROW INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL APPI, JAPAN
Set in the mountains of Iwate Prefecture, northern Japan, Harrow Appi will set a benchmark for international education in the region, offering a one-of-a-kind learning experience in East Asia: high academic outcomes, close personal tutoring in a full boarding school, values based holistic education, and the great outdoors on the doorstep.
Surrounded by nature, high achieving students will excel both academically and physically. Utilising Harrow International’s bespoke curriculum, outstanding teachers will guide and support students towards exceptional academic attainment and access to the universities of their choice. A unique co-curricular programme will engage students in sport, creative arts, and service learning; sports academies will offer particular specialisms in skiing, swimming, tennis, golf, and cycling.
Opening in August 2022 for Years 7-10, we are currently recruiting high performing teachers to our founding team.
Primarily, we’re seeking teachers who genuinely love working with young people using a holistic approach. Successful Harrow Appi teachers bring a range of abilities and interests to their teaching, in the classroom and beyond.
Successful candidates will understand and embrace the challenges of a start-up school and mountain-based life; who want to work and live in this kind of environment. They will welcome a high degree of integration between their personal and professional lives. We welcome interest from applicants with an understanding of the independent and/or quality international sectors and who have prior experience of boarding, though these are not prerequisites.
If you can imagine yourself working in a dynamic residential school environment, teaching in the day, supporting students in the boarding houses, running activities and clubs, skiing, golfing or mountain biking in the mornings, afternoons, evenings and/or weekends, we’d welcome your application.
Specifically, we require:
• An appropriate education degree, or a Bachelor’s degree and a UK PGCE, and UK QTS (or internationally recognised high-quality equivalents).
• A sustained period of teaching experience in a strong school and appropriate familiarity with the National Curriculum of England and IGCSE/GCSE syllabi (A Levels will be offered from 2024 onwards).
• An ability to guide and support highly able students (initially up to GCSE/IGCSE level), supporting their eventual progress to leading universities.
• Commitment to boarding and to holistic, values-based education.
• Full commitment to the digital culture of the school.
• Fluency in English.
The safeguarding of our students is at the core of all that we do. All appointments are also conditional on:
• Acceptable police checks (or equivalent) from the country of origin and from all countries in which you have worked.
• Appropriate references from your current and previous employer, corroborated by personal phone calls made to each referee (to be taken at shortlist stage).
The Appi environment, and the nature of the school, will suit energised professionals whose personal situation allows them to embrace life in rural, mountainous Japan. We seek resilient teachers who see the challenges of mountain-living, whatever the season, as part of the adventure – the rewards being access to the beauty of the Japanese natural environment and to extensive outdoor sports.
Successful applicants are offered two-year renewable contracts with highly competitive terms of employment, outstanding working conditions and access to the amenities of Appikogen.
HOW TO APPLY
The Candidate Information Pack and Job Description give further details regarding timeline and process. Application is via our portal here www.recruittoharrowis.com
Applications should be received by October 10th 2021 (midnight GMT). Early applications are encouraged; we reserve the right to hold early interviews and encourage application before the deadline.
Harrow International School Appi
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years